Ryann’s nerves were put to rest
quickly, while Jenny’s never completely disappeared. She’d had a tiny family.
It had been her mom, grandma and her. Surrounded by all these people and
knowing that they were her blood, her family, was a bit disconcerting. She’d
always wanted a large family. She’d wanted siblings and cousins to play with.
She’d gotten her wish, just not how she’d thought it would be. She just
couldn’t wrap her head around it all. It would be one thing if she’d found out five
years ago. She would still have felt betrayed but at least her family wouldn’t
have been torn apart. She cringed at the thought but then she would have had to
go through it all. She had never met David or Jance and she still loved them.
Just seeing their pictures and hearing stories about them, she had fallen in
love with them. It hurt now. How much more would it have hurt had she known
them? Had she actually been spared the pain? Was all the loss worth it? She
didn’t know the answer. No one could really ever know how it might have been.
Now she looked around and wondered
if she’d been better off not knowing. It didn’t seem a fair thought. Most
everyone here was welcoming her with open arms and sincere smiles. She couldn’t
remember all of their names by any means. Yet a few had lingered. Jason was her
favorite and treated her as though she had known him all her life. Aunt Marg
was a peach. She had a cousin Mark who was hilarious. She was pretty sure his
brother Jim was having a hard time not flirting with her. She had a great Uncle
who liked to go off on tangents which were comical and made everybody work hard
to suppress their grins. In all truth she liked everyone. She even liked the
aunt that everyone kept apologizing for in advance. The only people she
couldn’t handle were the two she should be closest to.
Her father made a point to say
hello and then had kept his distance. She couldn’t decide if he was being
respectful or cowardly. Luke kept his space as well. She was sure he had been
warned to leave Ryann alone. She had caught him watching them a few times but
rather than looking at Ryann with loathing, he had a neutral look on his face.
At least he was behaving, that was something.
She heard the gate open and turned
to see the new comer. She held her breath a moment longer than usual. She
hadn’t expected this. Her grandmother was immediately greeted by several family
members. Jenny was taken back by how familiar they all seemed to be with each
other. Grandma looked up and their eyes met. Jenny registered the older woman’s
surprise. She hadn’t known that Jenny would be there. Now the question was what
to do. She was both terrified that her grandmother would come over to speak
with her and worried that she wouldn’t. She waited with trepidation for a
while. It wasn’t hard to tell that she would be speaking with her grandma soon.
Though the woman did not bee-line it toward her, she was slowly and casually
making her way.
She looked at Ryann. Ryann said
nothing but Jenny could tell she was aware of the situation and was making sure
not to make a big deal out of it. Jenny closed her eyes. What would she say to
her? Was she ready to forgive her? No, she couldn’t. Still, she missed her. She
wished she didn’t but with her only feet away she couldn’t deny it. She was
jerked out of her thoughts by one of her cousin’s calling for grandma. Grandma
looked reluctant but she turned and headed for the house. The cousin handed her
the phone. She spoke on it briefly then called over for Blake.
They talked and then she quickly
headed for the gate. Before Jenny knew what had happened grandma was gone. She
wanted to inquire to where she was going but knew that by her own choice it had
become none of her business. Ryann squeezed her shoulder as if sensing her
turmoil.
“C’mon. Let’s get Jason and the
crew engaged in some fun,” Ryann led her away from her thoughts.
“What?” Ryann asked.
“Nothing, I didn’t say anything,”
Jenny responded with a grin.
“You’re laughing at me for some
reason,” Ryann pushed.
“I wouldn’t say laughing at you,
it’s just funny.” Jenny teased.
“What is?”
“Well, the moment we set foot in
your old stomping ground you changed.”
“I have not,” Ryann disagreed.
“Oh yes you have. You’re standing
straighter with more authority. You’re trying to be intimidating.” Jenny
grinned. “It’s kind of cute.”
Ryann shook her head. “You’re
crazy. I’m not trying to do anything. I do suppose that I have taken a leader
stance. I always used one, but if you recall, I am the leader. Hmm, I guess I’m
funny that way.”
“Hey, don’t get defensive. I’m well
aware that if you bark out orders to me I am still under obligation to follow
them.” Jenny laughed and gave her shoulder a shove. “I just think its funny how
you slipped back into that commando persona.”
“You make me sound as if I’m two
faced,” Ryann gave her a wry look. “Is that what you think?”
“No,” Jenny answered annoyed, “Stop
being so sensitive.”
Ryann stopped short and looked at her. “Would you expect me to suddenly start barking out orders, chewing people out until they wished they had a gun?”
Ryann stopped short and looked at her. “Would you expect me to suddenly start barking out orders, chewing people out until they wished they had a gun?”
“Stop it,” she gave Ryann a dirty
look in protest. She continued to walk on.
Ryann stepped up to her and kept
pace. “I’m sorry I’m so touchy. I’m not sure why. I guess I’m actually a little
nervous,” she admitted.
Jenny couldn’t help but laugh at
that. “Okay, that’s just not like the Kodi that I know and sort of loved.”
“Ha, ha,” Ryann shrugged. “It’s
just that I never used to care if they like me or not.”
Jenny couldn’t help but laugh now.
“Is that why you’re nervous? You’re afraid that they won’t like you?”
“Watch it, McCarty. I can still
take you.”
Jenny put her hand on her friends
shoulder and squeezed lightly. “Your problem is that you took my attitude to be
everyone’s attitude and that is not the case. I may have disliked you immensely
but I was picked on more than the others. They actually have great respect for
you. If truth be told, they like you more than they like me, at least some of
them do.”
Ryann cocked her eyebrow in
disbelief. “Right.”
“I’m serious, Ryann. They all look
up to you. They want to be just like you. Some were almost…well, jealous of
me.”
“Get out of here,” Ryann shoved her
sideways.
“Sad isn’t it but true. They all
wished that they had been the one to shoot you so they could be the teachers
pet.” Jenny explained.
Ryann smiled and shook her head.
“Even so, I’m not the same person I was then.”
Jenny nodded in agreement. “You’re
right there. This could be a huge problem. What good are you now? You’ve gone
all soft and mushy. You’re practically worthless as a team leader. You’ve gone
from stone cold to pansied up. No one is going to follow your orders. They’ll
just laugh in your face.”
Ryann stopped short. She spotted
one of her girls nearby. “Lacy,” she called over, “come here.”
Lacy looked up and saw the two
women. Recognizing them immediately she jogged over to join them. “Kodi, you’re
back.”
“Yes,” Ryann gave the girl a warm
smile. “I need a favor from you.”
The girl took a step back. She
looked off her guard. “Okay,” she said slowly. She snapped out of it. “Yes, of
course. What do you need?”
Ryann chuckled to herself. “Good, I need you
to stay with McCarty and make sure she completes her orders.”
“Yes, what orders would those be?”
Ryann looked over at Jenny slyly.
“Well, McCarty is a bit out of practice”
“Ryann you wouldn’t.” Jenny’s mouth
was set in amusement.
“I need you to run her through a
drill.”
“Long drill or short drill?” Lacy
asked.
“Come on Ryann,” Jenny beseeched
her.
“Oh, definitely the long drill;
depending on her performance maybe through twice. I’ll leave that up to you.”
“Oh,” Jenny groaned. She couldn’t
help but be amused and she was already plotting out her revenge. She actually
enjoyed these games she and Ryann played.
“Yes, Kodi,” Lacy barked out.
“Thanks, Lacy.” Ryann smiled. “Do
you know where Doog is?”
“Yes, she’s over at course three.”
“Thanks, I’m heading over there now
if anyone needs me.” She looked at Jenny. “Have fun,” she teased as she walked
away.
Lacy and Jenny watched as Ryann
headed for the tracks. “What did you do to her?”
Jenny laughed. “I didn’t do
anything.”
“But she smiled and laughed.” Lacy
made a hand gesture conveying confusion. “She practically asked me if I would
do it, not ordered me… and she said thank you.”
Jenny patted Lacy on the back.
“True not something that you’re used to.”
“Does Kodi have a twin sister?” she
asked.
“No,” Jenny answered. “She’s a one
of a kind.”
“But,” Lacy started just unable to
comprehend and still in shock, “she was teasing you.”
“Yes,” she admitted with a grin,
“and I can hardly wait to get her back.”
Lacy looked over at Jenny. “That
almost sounded insubordinate.”
Jenny was highly amused, “Far from
it.” She sighed reluctantly. “Let’s get to it. I have orders to follow.”
Ryann laughed al the way to course
three. She figured she better enjoy it while it lasted. Jenny did some of her
best thinking while she exercised and revenge would be on her mind. She spotted
Doog sitting on a bench watching a group going through drills. She stood up to
yell at one of the drillees but suddenly started to teeter. Ryann saw and ran
to her side. She reached her just in time to stop her from hitting the ground
hard.
“Doog?!” Ryann gently laid her the
rest of the way on the ground.
“Oh, I can’t see…everything
spinning”
The doctor happened to be there and
he swooped down. Ryann had to step back out of the way. “It’s okay, sweetie.
The doctor’s here.” She tried to reassure. “Let’s get her out of the sun.” The
doctor agreed without looking up. She
ran over to the phone to call for a stretcher.
Doog blinked forcibly. “I think I’m
okay now.”
“Well good but don’t move.” The
doctor ordered her.
“Except I think I’m hearing things.
I thought I heard Kodi.”
“You did.”
“She’s back? Who was with her?”
“No one.”
“Who caught me then?”
The doctor was taking her pulse.
“That was Kodi.”
It couldn’t have been, Doog thought, she had called her sweetie.
It couldn’t have been, Doog thought, she had called her sweetie.
The stretcher arrived and Ryann
forced herself to stay back out of the way. She followed them to Doog’s
quarters. She wanted to go inside but the doctor ordered everyone to stay out
while he examined her.
She leaned up against the wall and
waited. Jenny ran up to her. “Hey, how’s Doog? I heard she fainted.”
“She did. The docs in with her
now.”
Jenny studied her. “Are you all
right?”
Ryann bit her lip. “I just have
this strange feeling.”
“Like what?”
“Like I’m missing something really
important.”
”Like an event.”
”Like an event.”
“No, like a clue or something.”
“Ryann, what are you talking
about?”
”I don’t know.” She rubbed her face. “Will you go take over her post?”
”I don’t know.” She rubbed her face. “Will you go take over her post?”
“Yeah, sure. I’ll check back
later.”
Ryann put
her hand over her stomach. She felt ill but not as though she was physically
sick. It was more the feeling she got when she had just done something very
wrong. Something was nagging at her hard. It had to do with Doog but what? It
wasn’t just worry. It was something else. Thinking about it now, this wasn’t
the first time she had felt this nagging sensation. She had it before. When was
the last time? Oh yeah, the big incident
with Jenny, She remembered.
“What are you doing?” Doog accused.
“What do you mean?”
“I
mean I just passed McCarty in the hall.”
“So.”
“So!
What are you doing to that girl?” she asked angrily.
“She
blew it big time! What, did you want me to let her off with a gentle slap on
the wrist?”
“No
but what you’re doing is wrong. It was more of Presley’s fault and you know
it.”
“She
has a mind of her own! She chose to act irresponsibly. She’s better than that
and you and I both know it. This was unacceptable! She has to be held
accountable for her actions!”
“That
is not what you’re doing.” Doog got in her face. “I am not going to stand by
and let you do this!”
“Do
what?”
“Turn
that girl into you!” Doog yelled. “You are an angry bitter woman, Ryann Kodi.
You’re trying to make McCarty just like you. You know just how to play her and
you pushed her to do this.”
“Don’t
be ridiculous.”
“You
are what is ridiculous! You try to be this unfeeling unemotional statue. Where
is your heart, Ryann?” she put her hand on Kodi’s arm.
“Don’t
touch me. Don’t call me Ryann! You are out of line!” she took two steps back.
“Oh
poor, Ryann.”
“Stop
it!”
Doog
rushed Kodi and pinned her up against the wall. Normally Kodi would have
retaliated but something paralyzed her, holding her there more than Doog’s
force. Doog cupped her hands around Kodi’s shoulders and neck. “Where are you?”
she asked as she looked into Kodi’s eyes. Doog moved her thumbs along her jaw.
“Don’t teach that girl to hate just so you can have a companion in misery.”
Ryann rubbed her jaw with the back
of her hand along where Doog had stroked. There was something there. There was
something in that memory that should tell her something. She couldn’t fathom
what. She thought back. Why had she hired Doog? That was a good question, why
had she hired Doog? They had talked about it before and she couldn’t put her
finger on it then either. Thinking on it now, Doog hadn’t the qualifications,
they both knew that. Ryann tried to remember that day. There had just been
something that drew her to the woman, not unlike with Jenny. Surely David
didn’t have another sister out there, so what was it? She tried to place what
she felt. Did she remind her of someone? Maybe- but who? A sibling perhaps. She
ran through each and couldn’t place her to any of them. If she had to put it in
words, Doog simply reminded her of home. She felt like home. Why?
The doctor stepped out and closed
the door behind him. Ryann quickly stepped to.
”Is she okay? What’s wrong? Does she need to go to a hospital?” she rushed at him.
”Is she okay? What’s wrong? Does she need to go to a hospital?” she rushed at him.
He began to answer and then
stopped. “Kodi?”
“Yeah, what?” He was looking at her
awful strangely. “What?”
He opened his mouth as if to speak
and then closed it again.
She got it. He couldn’t believe it
was her. There had actually been concern in her voice. “It’s okay, doc. It’s
me. What’s going on?”
He looked at her as if he was
doubtful that she was telling the truth but continued on. “She’s been having
spells recently. This was the first time she passed out. She does need to go to
a hospital and have a complete check up. Up until now she’s refused but this
needs to be address now.”
“Don’t worry, doc. She’ll be going
right now.” She grabbed her radio and signaled transportation. “I need a
transport for Doog. Get it ready ASAP and get over here. She’s going to Valley
Central Hospital.” She looked at the doctor for confirmation. “Good?”
“Yes, if you can get her to agree.”
She grinned. “Oh I will.”
Doog lay in her room on the sofa so
she could prop herself up just a bit. It seemed to help her head. This was the
worst she had felt so far. There was no more ignoring that something was wrong.
The door opened and Ryann stepped in. Doog closed her eyes. “That was a quick
trip.” She said slightly sarcastically.
“Yeah,” she drew out. “I got side
tracked.” Ryann froze. She was fairly certain her heart stopped. “Lord, it
can’t be,” she whispered. She took a step forward.
Doog opened her eyes for a quick
glance at Kodi. She was surprised by what she saw. Kodi’s face was paste white
and she looked like she was going to be sick. “You okay?” she asked closing her
eyes again. Her eyelids were so heavy. Truth be told she wasn’t up for a round
with Kodi. She didn’t feel so hot herself. The look on Kodi’s face distracted
her from her pain and she set her sights on the woman. Something was very
wrong. Kodi was walking towards her slowly and deliberately. She stopped at the
edge of the couch and fell to her knees. Now Doog knew something was terribly
wrong, only it wasn’t pain, necessarily, that she saw. It was closer to shock.
Ryann reached her hand out but
stopped just short of touching Doog’s face. She didn’t feel as though she had
the right to get closer. “I am so sorry.”
Doog was still not sure what was
going on, but she could see the regret and the strong emotions in the woman’s
face. “There you are,” she said more to herself. She had waited to see Ryann Kodi
again and the woman had just appeared. “It’s okay. I’m fine.”
Ryann’s whole body shook with the
force of her emotions. “I am a blind fool.”
“What?” Doog asked confused. “What
is wrong with you?”
“Kitty.” Ryan breathed the name.
Doog’s eyes shot open. Had she
really just said what she thought she had said? Ryann’s face answered the
question with a yes. “Oh.” Well, that made sense. Doog swallowed. “Hi, Ryann.”
Ryann’s head just dropped. “Oh ,
dear Lord.” She looked back up. “How? Why?” she stuttered. “What are you doing
here?”
Doog smiled but it was a sad smile.
“I came to be with you.” She couldn’t believe what she was seeing. There were
so many emotions crossing Ryann’s face. Her eyes were filling up with tears.
Doog reached out and touched her face. “I knew you were there somewhere.”
Ryann started sobbing. She hadn’t
cried this hard when she had gone home. Her body shook violently and the tears
pored like rain. She kept having to gasp for air. She grabbed onto Doog and
buried her head between Doog and the sofa cushion. Doog was so shocked she
didn’t know how to react. She reached her hand out and stroked Ryann’s hair.
She decided not to say anything, just to let Ryann cry. The sobs started to
subside but Ryann didn’t lift her head. Instead she just grasped tighter to
Doog as she gained control. Finally she raised her head. She wiped at her eyes.
Shaking her head she closed her eyes in pain. She finally looked at Doog again.
“I knew that I had a lot to apologize and thank you for but I never imagined
just how much.”
“It’s okay, Ryann.” She reached out
and wiped a tear from Ryann’s cheek. She couldn’t help but feel satisfied at
Ryann’s response. She had to admit that it was a fear to her that Ryann had
forgotten her completely. She felt a tug at her shirt and looked down. The edge
of her shirt was firmly grasped in Ryann’s hand. This seemed a bit odd to her.
Was the woman afraid that she was going to run away? It hit her then that was
exactly what she was afraid of. “I’m not exactly prepared to bolt through the
door, Ryann.” She nodded to her hand.
Ryann glanced down, but instead of
letting go, she gathered a bit more shirt and held tightly. “Kit,” she couldn’t
seem to say more than the woman’s name.
The entire time Doog had been on
this base, she had not been able to read one emotion on this woman’s face. By
pure faith she hung on to the belief that she would get her friend back, for
she had had no indication of such. Now she was looking into a face that held
nothing back. Every thought and insecurity was written there. “I’m not going
anywhere, Ryann.”
Ryann looked back down at her hand.
“I can’t let go. I won’t.”
Doog reached out and cupped the
woman’s face in her hands. “You act as though you just found me. I’ve been here
the whole time.”
Ryann still did not let go, but she
loosened her grip slightly.
There was a light tap on the door.
Jenny stepped in. “How’s it going in here?” She surveyed the scene. “You
alright, Ryann?”
Doog smiled at Jenny. “She just had
a revelation.”
“Come again.”
“She just figured out who I am,”
she explained.
Ryann whipped around to Jenny. “You
knew?” It was very close to an accusation.
Jenny wasn’t sure how to proceed.
“Doog mentioned that she had known you before but couldn’t explain. I didn’t
push.”
The shock started to come in waves.
“Wait wait,” she was so stunned. She looked intensely at Doog. “Kit, I don’t
understand. Why didn’t you tell me?”
“Are you serious?”
Ryann rubbed at her face her hands
slid down over her mouth. She removed them, “Okay, okay.” Was she saying
everything twice?” There were so many questions. “You changed your name?”
Doog could not do this. She could
not answer all the questions that were forming in Ryann’s head. She had to do
something. She did have one way of getting the focus off of her, but would it throw
Ryann back into hiding? “I was never particularly fond of my name.”
“Kit.”
“I’m sorry, Ryann. What do you want
me to say?”
“Why did you change your name?”
She was going to have to chance it.
“I started a new life, I needed a new name.”
Ryann finally let go to run her
hands threw her hair. She was floored. Her body began to shake again. What was
going on? What this really happening? “Kit,” she was at a loss. She doubled
over slightly. She felt sick.
“Ryann are you okay?” Jenny asked
concerned. She wasn’t sure what was going on but it was big. She hadn’t seen
Ryann this bad ever and she had seen her at her lowest. Something was really
getting to her.
The radio crackled and a voice said
they’d be there in five to pick up Doog. Ryann stood. “Okay, hospital first.”
She jumped up and began to pace back and forth like a caged cat.
“You’re not going,” Doog stated
firmly.
“The heck I’m not.” Jenny was
thrown by the fierceness in Ryann’s reply. What was going on?
Doog had no other choice. She
couldn’t handle Ryann’s questions and she knew she was moments away from the
Spanish Inquisition. She had to get Ryann’s focus off her. “Look, we don’t have
much time until they get here. I have something I’ve needed to tell you for a
while now but couldn’t. You really need to know this…” she hesitated.
“What?” Ryann asked. She could tell
it was serious.
“I don’t want to hurt you.”
Jenny took a step forward. This was
serious.
“I’m okay. What?” Ryann watched the
emotions cross Doog’s face. She was obviously struggling over something. “Tell
me, Kit.”
Doog felt a bit guilty for this but
Ryann did need to know, she just wasn’t sure if this really was the time. “Not
long ago I was at my desk thinking things over.” She took a deep breath both to
give her the air to say what she had to say and because a slight pain had hit
her. She didn’t quite know how to put this, so she just told the story and
hoped that she didn’t cross any lines she shouldn’t. “I was about at my wits
end. I was running everything through my mind. I couldn’t figure out how to get
through to you and time was passing with no real improvement. So I decided to
pull up the articles written about what happened. I have read them before but I just had this
feeling that I was missing something. Don’t get me wrong, I know that what you
went through would shatter anyone. But having known the person that you were, I
just felt like I was missing something.”
Ryann held her face as emotionless
as she possibly could. It didn’t seem that anything had changed, Kit still knew
her, could still see what no one else could see. Ryann felt so raw, she felt
like her insides were bleeding.
“So I thought maybe if I read the
articles again,” Doog continued, “maybe I could find what I was missing.” She
shifted in her seat to get a little more comfortable. She grabbed her ring on
her right hand between her fingers and began to twirl it back and forth. This
was harder than she thought it was going to be. “I found pictures but not the
ones I was looking for.”
Ryann thought she knew what was
coming next. Somehow police photographs
of the crime scene had been released on the net. She had never looked at them herself but had
remembered people talking about them. She hadn’t needed to see a picture. The
images were burned into her eyes.
Doog caught Ryann’s eyes with her
own. For that moment she was able to put everything that had happened between
her and Ryann to the background and for just one moment she was the friend that
Ryann had made her so very long ago. Her eyes shone of compassion and love and
her voice was very tender. “These pictures, Ryann, they were very serious. I
knew I had to go to the police so I asked you for leave.”
Ryann remembered the incident.
“This wasn’t very long ago, was it?” Doog had come to her fairly alarmed and
upset. She hadn’t explained she just said that there something she had to do
and she needed to do it right then. Ryann had never seen her like that and knew
it was serious. She gave her permission without a question.
“No,” Doog cleared her throat.
Which part did she say next? “These pictures, Ryann…”
Ryann thought she would help, “of
the crime scene.”
Doog shook her head. “No, not
exactly.” She knew she was running out of time and now that she had started she
needed to get this out. “There were three pictures. One was of David and Jance
playing in the living room. Jance was on David shoulders laughing.” She
continued cautiously, “the next showed David fighting with someone and another
man holding onto Jance. The image of the men with them was distorted but you
could see David and Jance perfectly.” Ryann’s face was draining again, this
time it was turning a light shade of green to boot. “The third picture had you
in it. Your back was mostly to the camera. You could see part of your face,
enough to register the look of terror. Your keys were grasped tightly in your
left hand. David was kneeling on the floor.” Doog felt sick to her stomach.
She’d cried for hours after she saw these pictures.
Her frustration with Ryann had
caused her to grow angry and fed up but when she had looked at exactly what
Ryann had gone through, the anger had evaporated. It had renewed her and she’d
been able to be a friend again. She could never have survived what Ryann had
survived. For a single moment she had been grateful for the stone wall Ryann
had become because a lot of people would have given up completely and ended up
taking their own lives. “I don’t know how aware you are of the investigation
going on. I’m guessing you don’t know much about it.” She was sure the Ryann did not know about the
new change. Should she mention that? “I spoke with the detective in charge,
which was very interesting, “she said slowly.
“What?” Ryann asked reading
something there.
“You’re case has been handed over
to a new detective. You’ve met him once before.” She didn’t go into detail. “I
told him that I knew you, that I was a friend of the family and after talking
for awhile I shared my information with him and he admitted to me that someone
has been taunting the police, someone very smart. They’re no closer to finding
whoever is responsible. But whoever they are, they’re still targeting you.
These aren’t the first pictures discovered on the internet but they were the
most recent.”
Ryann wasn’t moving. It wasn’t that
she was retreating into her stonewall but she looked like a statue. The door
opened. They were there to pick up Doog. Jenny pulled Ryann aside and let them
through. Doog accepted their assistance as they pulled her up on to the
stretcher. She kept her eyes on Ryann the whole time. She had accomplished her
task. She had pushed the button that would briefly make Ryann forget her
questions. Now she had new questions but not for Doog. She gave Jenny a look
prompting her to watch Ryann. She didn’t speak again, she gave no goodbye for
fear that it would break Ryann out of shock and make her put aside her new
questions for the old. She closed her eyes and fought the temptation to cry.
She was on her way to the hospital and once again out of Ryann’s life.
Jenny watched Ryann carefully. She
could tell the Ryann was on the edge of passing out. Ryann looked up as a
stretcher rounded the corner and took a step towards it. Her legs gave out from
under her and she nearly fell. Jenny grabbed her and used the downward force to
set her on the sofa. “Hold it, Ryann. You need to sit.”
“I need to go,” she insisted
weakly.
“No, you need to rest before you
pass out.”
Ryann shook her head. “I’m fine,” she insisted. “I have to go after
her.”
“She didn’t want you to go, Ryann.
She’s going to be fine. She was more worried about you and so am I.”
“You don’t understand. You don’t
understand who she is. I have…”
“I know exactly who she is, Ryann,”
Jenny interrupted. “I’ve known her for quite some time now. I know who she is.
I know how special she is just by having known her while I’ve been here. I
don’t know your history but I do know her. Now stay put or you’re going to need
a stretcher too.”
Ryann leaned over and buried her
face in her knees. She wasn’t sure she even had the strength to stand. So much
information was swarming in her mind and she wasn’t sure which to deal with
first. “What do I do?”
Jenny was flabbergasted. She had
never witnessed such an intense scene before. She had to admit she was very
curious to know more about Ryann and Doog’s past. However, Doog must have felt
that the information she had was a priority and Jenny agreed. Someone had
murdered her brother and nephew and they were living it up. Something had to be
done. “It would seem that your god is letting the murderer run fun and fancy
free.” She couldn’t hide that anger and bitterness.
Ryann didn’t straighten but she
turned her head so she could look at Jenny. She couldn’t explain why justice
had not yet been served. “Only with your eyes shall you look, and see the
reward of the wicked,” she quoted scripture.
“You’re still going to hold on to
that?”
“I let go once, Jenny. Would you
really want me to go back to that?”
Jenny shook her head annoyed. “No
but I want you to face reality.”
“Reality is that everything happens
for reason,” Ryann insisted. “I believe that now more than I ever have in my
life. I have to, just to get through the day, but even more so now.”
“How can you think that?”
“I have known Kit Ardoogsen since
we were children. It doesn’t matter that she changed her name or her hair. She
could have been standing a hundred feet off and I would know her just by the
way she stands. I know her like I know my own family. She is my family. Now you
explain to me why I didn’t figure out who she was until now.”
“You didn’t notice a lot of things,
Ryann.” Jenny argued. “Did you ever think it was just because you didn’t want
to recognize her?”
“We all know that if I had
recognized her I would’ve pushed her away. I would never have hired her if I’d
known who she was.” She thought about that. There were other circumstances
surrounding their friendship that may have played a part in all this. She
wouldn’t have reacted the same way to Kit as she had the rest of her family.
She honestly didn’t know how she would have reacted. Though it was a good
chance it wouldn’t have been a good reaction. “But I did recognize her enough
to hire her. She had no credentials for this job. She had no training
whatsoever as even an assistant of this sort, let alone the physical training.
Something or I should say someone compelled me to hire her and kept her
identity hidden from me. This was not a coincidence.”
“She was hiding from you, Ryann.
She was here watching out for you when you had pushed everyone else away. You
didn’t recognize her because neither of you wanted you to recognize her. You,
so you could hide and her because she wanted to be here for you. I don’t see
how god had anything to do with it.”
“And I don’t see how you could deny
that God had anything to do with.” She took in a deep breath to try and
stabilize herself. What now? She sat up and leaned back against the couch. What should I do, Lord? She asked. She
remembered where she was. She had responsibilities. “We need to get a hold of
Brooks Mayer. We’re going to need her to take over sooner than we thought.”
“I’ll call her now,” Jenny stood
allowing the subject to change. “You stay put. If I have to put a post outside
the door I will.”
“I’ll stay.”
Jenny made the appropriate calls.
She hung up the phone with a sense of ending. This base had been her home for a
while now. She hadn’t planned on being done with it so soon. Things had changed
though. She thought for a moment about what Ryann had said about everything
happening for a reason. She could not name the reason she had come to this base
in the first place. It had never been anything she had wanted to do before. So
why here why now? She couldn’t fathom having been guided here by a supernatural
hand. How easy was it for a lost sister to come in contact with her brother’s
wife in a remote site like this? So many things came together so strangely. She
just couldn’t accept that it was a plan. All she knew right now was that her
place was at Ryann’s side. Beyond that she had no idea what lay ahead of her.
Ryann was
thoughtful as she walked along the corridor. Ever since she had watched her
family being murdered, she had relied upon a self defense mechanism that cut
her off from the rest of the world. She
would retreat into a persona stronger and braver than she felt that she was. But she had emerged from the persona a stronger
woman and though she could handle the problems of life, she found that she
couldn’t do it without retreating back to the persona in at least a small
way. As she walked into that precinct,
no one had ever seen a stronger or straighter body stance in their lives. She walked down the hall like a wartime
general walks in front of his men. She
dug deep into her pain and her fear and dipped into her persona, her retreat,
and found those parts that were useful in getting her through the hard times of
life. She wouldn’t retreat fully. She would never do that to her family again,
but she would pick and choose those parts that could be helpful to her.
She thought
that she’d gotten past that dark hole.
But the information that Kit had relayed to her threatened to pull her
back down. How could there be pictures
on the internet? Who else had been
there? She had known that there had to
be someone behind the plot against her family.
The police could never find a connection between her and the man that
was killed but they’d never given up on finding it. It hadn’t felt like a random act of
violence. She wanted more than anything
to find the person responsible for this, to finally be able to put to rest
everything that happened.
With Jenny
on her heals, she made her way through the precinct to the office she had been
directed to. She hesitated a micro
second at the door. With a sharp intake of breath, she stepped through. She
stopped short when she saw the detective in charge of her case. Now she
understood why Kit had found him interesting. She heard Jenny gasp slightly at
her own recognition. Right off the bat Ryann noticed a change. His physical
appearance was the same but he looked very different to her. He looked up from his desk when she
entered. His face showed no recognition.
She guessed he couldn’t say the same for her.
He looked over her stance and that seemed to remind him. His eyes narrowed. He was definitely surprised to see her.
“Kodi. I wouldn’t have expected to see you. What can I do for you?”
She waited
ten seconds before answering. “I was
informed that you have taken over my case.
I would like to be updated.” She heard the “Kodi” tone in her voice but
couldn’t help it. Both the situation and the presence of a former opponent put
her on edge. She couldn’t believe that Bryant Kacie was heading up her case.
He looked
even more confused now than before. “I’m
afraid there’s been a mistake. I’m only working on one case right now.”
“I’m well
aware of that. It is my case that you’ve
been working on.”
He looked
ready to argue with her but before he said anything he looked down at a picture
sitting on his desk. He picked it up and
looked at it. Then, in almost amazement,
he looked back up at her. “Kodi,” he
said more to himself than to them. “You?
You’re Ryann Kodi?”
She waited
another ten seconds before answering.
“Yes.” They stood at a stare off, neither one willing to break eye
contact. McCarty, who was standing close, gave her a small nudge. Without skipping a beat Kodi continued. “I was told that you found pictures on the
internet.”
He looked
down at his desk. He seemed to be deep
in thought. “You know, when I took this
case on I requested to speak with you but was told you were unavailable. I found it highly suspicious that you had up
and disappeared.” He shook his head and chuckled. “I stated as much and was met with quite a
bit of resistance. I believe the captain told me to get my head out of my
backside and do my job.” He nodded his head side to side. “Not a single person even gave the smallest
inkling that you might have something to do this but I didn’t buy it.”
Kodi’s eyes
narrowed. She wasn’t about to stand
there and let anyone, let alone him, accuse her of aiding in her family’s
death. She was about two steps from
blowing up in his face. Her dignity kept
her silent.
He looked
straight into her eyes. “Nope, I didn’t
buy it for an instant, until now,” he finished, surprising her. Bryant leaned back in his chair. He shook his head and chuckled again. “You are Ryann Kodi. I would’ve never guessed it.”
Kodi fought
hard to hide her surprise. Successfully
she continued. “So what can you tell
me?”
His
expression changed from surprise to one of seriousness. “Have a seat,” he instructed. With hesitation but managing to get off the
defensive a bit, Ryann did as instructed.
Jenny followed her lead. Ryann relaxed slightly and listened to what he
had to say. With a sigh he slowly handed her a folder from his desk. She could see his reluctance in letting her
see them. She took that as fair warning
that she would not like what she saw.
Ryann put her fingers on the folder.
She felt her hand beginning to shake slightly. She swallowed nervously. She knew that if she didn’t do something
quick she was going to have a panic attack and she hadn’t even seen what was
inside the folder yet. She took a deep
breath and mustered up all the strength she had within her. Please, Lord. Please help me get through this. Slowly she opened the folder. Her breath caught in her chest. The world slowed around her; even her
heartbeat had grown faint as though time had slowed too still to even get out a
beat. She needed only to close her eyes
to see the pictures that lay in her hands.
The small glimpse of the pictures he handed her had brought back
memories so vivid that she was afraid she would never rid them from her
mind.
Jenny put a
hand on her shoulder. Kodi nodded, she
pulled strength from her friend’s touch and got on with the business at
hand. She noticed at once that the
pictures were taken from behind her. She
knew then that whoever else had been there must have come down from the small
balcony of the sun room. She searched her memory but could not recall a single
noise from behind or a glance in that direction from one of the men. She closed her eyes and ran through the
events of that night to the best of her memory.
Then she found it. There had been a short second, the smallest of a
glance from the man who shot her son just before he had done it. He had looked
up to get instruction. Whoever and taken
these pictures had given the OK to kill her husband and child. She felt sick to her stomach. How could she have missed that?
She looked
at the detective sitting behind the desk.
He’d been her enemy. In the very
least he had been a thorn in her side.
Now, he was the man in charge of putting the past behind her. “So what do you know, Kacie?”
He
grinned. “You know, you could call me
Bryant.”
“I could
call you detective Kacie if you would like.”
He shook
his head slowly. “No, Kacie is
fine. Of course you don’t have to say it
with quite the enthusiasm that you used on the battlefield.” He smiled at her
then and without showing it, she couldn’t help noticing that he was a very
attractive man with a rather sexy smile.
She sat
thoughtfully for a moment. She wondered
then how he had managed to be a detective and on her case. She had heard that
he had resigned not long after their war game but not nearly long enough to
become a detective, let alone get through the academy. “Speaking of the battlefield, it hasn’t been
that long since you left it. Exactly
what did you do to become a detective so quickly?”
He smiled
devilishly. He felt the challenge. The moment he had laid eyes on her,
competitiveness had risen in both of them.
He felt that now but knew it was inappropriate. He struggled to suppress the desired to
challenge her. “There’s only one way to
become a detective this quickly after you’ve left the armed forces. That’s to have been one before you entered
the armed forces. Let’s just say that after I met you, I decided that the
reason I left my job in the first place was unavoidable.” He shrugged, “So I decided to move home and
begged for my old job back. Jim and I go back a ways, He thought maybe a new
perspective would help the case so he put me on it.”
She
contemplated his answer. She couldn’t
help but be curious. “And why did you
leave your job in the first place?”
He cocked
his eyebrow in response. She knew full
well that he didn’t think it was any of her business and he was correct. He folded his arms in front of him and leaned
back with a sly grin on his face. He
seemed to be contemplating whether to tell her the truth or not. “Well, if you’re sure that you want to know,”
he paused. Not getting an interruption,
he continued, “I resented having a woman as a superior.”
Ryann was
so surprised to have him admit the reason that she decided not to comment. She snuck a glance at Jenny next to her. She was biting her lip to hide her
amusement. For the first time since
entering the building, Ryann let the persona go and completely relaxed. She fought the urge to laugh, then unable to
do so, she just let go and chuckled.
“I’m glad
that you find it amusing.” Bryant said
sternly but there was laughter in his eyes.
He looked down at the folder in front of him and his face became solemn
again. “I guess I’ve been avoiding this. You asked what we’d found and I neglected to
answer, the reason being that we haven’t been able to find anything.” He sighed heavily. “We know when he left the scene; he’s been
posting these in reverse order. We
believe that first one there is the last picture he took before he exited the
scene. He posts a new picture every so often but in no real order that we’ve
been able to determine. He posted three
pictures on April 27. Those are the ones that Doog found.” It hit him then. He
got a ‘well duh’ look on his face but continued without comment. “There’s
something about that date that is significant to him but we have no idea
what. We know a few things about the
camera that he must have used. If you notice, the pictures were snapped so
quickly that if you were to put them together and flip them it would almost play
as a movie. We also know that in order
for you to not have heard the camera clicking, that it must be a quiet brand.
It was probably digital or maybe video and these are just stills. We also think
that it possibly was on a stand. The pictures are consistently at the same
angle.”
“Up until
six months ago they were in perfect reverse order but he changed his pattern
on,” he flip the page and looked for a date, “January 3. He posted this one.” He handed her a picture.
Kodi looked
down at the picture reluctantly. She was
afraid she was going to see something rather unpleasant. Instead she saw a picture that would be in her
own photo album. The picture was taken
from a different angle, higher up the stairs that lead to the sun room but it
caught them fairly well. It was taken of
the three of them just before she had left to go to the store. She was kissing David goodbye and Jance was
standing next to her with his arm around her leg. “He was in the house before I left.” She
stated.
Kacie
nodded. “One of them was. That or they had a camera hidden. It’s close enough to the incident that we
can’t rule out a random attack. I don’t
believe it is but there is a possibility that you were chosen randomly that day
and were only watched for the short period of time before the incident occurred. However, the change of habit on specific
dates indicates that this is not the case.
I’m waiting for a picture unrelated to this incident in order to prove
this but I believe whoever is responsible knows either you or David. I’m
guessing you. If it were David, I don’t believe he would bother to post the
pictures. He’s still trying to get your
attention and he’s getting frustrated that it’s not working.”
Kacie
leaned forward in his chair. “I don’t
believe he’s done with you. Eventually
he’s going to become so angry and frustrated from lack of results that he’ll
strike you again. I don’t think he’s known where you’ve been this little while
and I think it’s making him mad.” He
leaned back again. “Hopefully his frustration
will have caused him to make a fatal error before this happens. Now that you’re
back, we may see a lot more activity. I’m figuring he’s pleased to see you and
eager to cause a reaction.”
“Do you
think he’s going to go after my family?” Kodi asked calmly, even though her
heart began to thump.
He shook
his head. “No, when he comes at you
again, it will be personal. Otherwise he would have attacked them to get you to
come home sooner. This is between him and you. He wants you to know why he did
this. He wants you to know who he is. I think he wants you to himself. Do you know anyone from your past who might
fit anywhere near this pattern? Any sour
breakups with boyfriends? Or even
crushes?”
“You think
it might be some poor fool who had a high school crush on me?” Kodi asked in
doubt.
“We’re not
dealing with someone quite right in the head, if you’ll excuse the
expression. We know that he’s
smart. We wouldn’t even know of his
existence except that he chose to reveal it.
I believe that he planned this thoroughly from beginning to end and he
planned it well. I think that he receive
the exact results that he wanted, including the death of the one man.”
“Why do you
believe that?” Kodi asked.
“We have no
positive way to prove it but we have officers who swear that both men were
hit. Both men fell, the one got up and
continued to run but the other lay dead on the ground.”
“So? What are you getting at?”
“We believe
that the man that got away was wearing a bulletproof jacket while the one that
died was not. Like I said, we can’t
prove it but we do suspect it.” He
explained.
“So two men
were needed but only one was trusted.” Kodi surmised.
“Exactly,”
Bryant frowned slightly. “I wish I had
more. I wish I could say that it was the
police department the found the internet pictures but it wasn’t.”
“No, it was
Kit. She’s the one that told me. I will say this for you; you haven’t had the
information on the site for long. You’ve worked quickly.” She searched the memories from her past but
could not think of a single person who might be responsible for any of
this. She’d had a semiserious
relationship in high school, which had ended on fair terms. She had
relationships off and on since and a few before then, but David had been the
only real love of her life. They had
begun dating after high school. For
short periods during college they dated other people but neither had found
anyone more than a friend. “I can’t
think of a single person who would be capable of this, none of the guys that I
ever dated or even the girls that David had dated. As far as I knew, I hadn’t started making
enemies until after my husband and son were killed.”
Someone
walked by the door and stop suddenly. He
stepped into the door frame. “Ryann?”
Ryann
turned in her seat to see who was.
“Jim!” She stood up and walked over to him. She approached him with arms open and he gave
her a great big bear hug.
“Ryann
Kodi, it is so good to have you home.” He looked up at Bryant sitting behind
the desk. “I guess you came to get the
update on the case.” He looked at Bryant again.
“I hope he hasn’t given you any trouble,” He said with a slight
threatening tone on the edge of it.
Ryann
grinned. “No, quite the opposite
actually. He’s been very informative.”
Jim sighed
sadly. “I wish there was more to
inform.” He looked down at Ryann. He
looked in her eyes and smiled brightly.
“There it is. That’s what I’ve
been waiting to see. You have your
father’s eyes you know, more so than the other two. Sometimes I can look in your eyes and swear
that I’m looking into your father’s eyes.”
Ryann
blushed slightly at the compliment. Jim
and her father had been best friends since their youth. When her father had died Jim had watched over
the family. When her mother had started
dating Walter, Jim felt that it was his personal responsibility to check Walter
out. Walter had not only understood but had respected Jim for it. Jim grew to
respect Walter as well. The two had
formed their own friendship. Jim had always
been a large part of her life. “Thank
you, Uncle Jim.”
“I would
actually like to talk to you alone for a moment if you don’t mind,” Jim
stated.
Ryann
okayed it with Jenny with a glance.
“I’ll meet you down in the parking lot in a few minutes.” Ryann and Jim
left the room.
Jenny
looked over at Bryant who was still watching Ryann walk down the hall. He turned and looked at her. “I see you’re still the first mate.”
“I guess
that you could say that.” She picked up the folder. She hadn’t seen any of the pictures. She had seen a few that were in the magazine,
but they hadn’t been very detailed. She
opened the folder and stared down of the contents. She fought the nausea that rose in her
stomach.
Bryant
noticed the color drain from her face.
“Did you know David?”
“No, I
never met him,” she answered. She handed
the folder back to Bryant. She sat
thoughtfully for a moment and then looked over at him. “Out of curiosity, what is the web site?”
He gritted
his teeth. Then he took a breath and
answered her, “castigationofacourtesan.com.”
“What the
freak? He has a nice big thesaurus,” Jenny observed.
“Yes, and
it shows us that he believes himself above her. Which actually suggests that he
has self-esteem issues. Which isn’t surprising.”
“Well, now
I see why you believe it’s focused on Ryann and not David.” He didn’t
respond. She was too tired to get
angry. As much she would like to find
whoever was responsible, she knew that they were doing everything that could be
done. Jenny stood and extended her
hand. “Thank you for your help.”
He took her
hand and shook it firmly. “I wish that I
could do more.”
Ryann
couldn’t help but feel a little nervous as she got ready. She had run from her God, she had run from
her family and she had equally run from the people of God. This would be her first Sunday back. Jenny
had agreed to come along but not for the church aspect of it. She was still in follower mode and where
Ryann went Jenny usually followed. It
had taken a few days to calm down after she’d found out about the website. Her
mother hadn’t even approached her with the topic of church until she saw her
relax. Church hadn’t even been on
Ryann’s mind, which made her feel a little ashamed. All her life church had been many things to
her. It’d been a place to get to know
her God. It’d been a place of
support. It had been a place of refuge. Then, when the going had gotten
inconceivable, she had rejected all that the church of been to her. She wasn’t sure how she was going to face all
of those people.
She took a
deep steadying breath as she looked in the mirror. She had chosen to wear black dress slacks, a
blue plaid blouse with a white undershirt.
It was simple but dressy enough for church. She looked at a picture of herself from
before that was sitting on the dresser.
As Jason had so delicately pointed out, she had not been overweight, nor
had she been quite so fit. She and David
had worked out together a couple times a week but she really had very little
muscle tone to mention. She by no means
looked like a professional body builder but she could easily model for weight
machine commercials. Likewise, Jenny was
a similar creation. The two of them
could look quite intimidating standing together. Yet even now she could see the softness had
returned to her face. The thought of
being home made her smile and she could see in her smile that she truly was
home again. Now was time to make the
final transition. It was time to return
to the family that she would spend eternity with.
They
decided to just take one car. Walter and
Lorna sat in the front with the three children living under their roof in the
backseat. It reminded Ryann a lot of
when she was growing up. Jenny had been
an only child, to the best of her knowledge at the time, so it was an odd
experience crowding into the back seat. She could sense Ryann’s nervousness and
wondered why. After all, it was just
church. They would be lectured on some
aspect of the Bible and then go home.
Yet as they walked into the building, she noticed that Ryann began to
fidget slightly and chew her lip. They
entered the foyer and many heads turned to see who had come. Suddenly Jenny understood Ryann’s
nervousness. How would they accept
her?
The
question was answered immediately. As
the people who knew her began to recognize her their faces lit up. One by one they made their way over and
greeted her with a hug or handshake.
Ryann relaxed completely. The
pastor soon came over and greeted Ryann with a handshake and a hug. He stepped
back and gave her a looking over. “It is
good to have you home, Ryann.” He
glanced down at the bulletin in his hands.
“You know, we could probably fit in another song if you have that
inkling to sing.” He smiled at her warmly.
“We have definitely missed your voice.”
She blushed
slightly but the red quickly faded. “Not
this time. I would definitely have to
practice first.”
“Fair
enough. It will be enough to hear you
down in the pews.” He squeezed her shoulder slightly. “We’ll talk later.”
They walked
on to find their seats. As they did
Jenny turned to Ryann. “You sing?”
Ryann was
amused by the disbelief she heard and Jenny’s voice. “Yes, I sing.
I used to quite often actually.”
As the
church service began they stood to sing. Jenny made an extra effort to listen
to Ryann. By the time they’d finished
the third song, she understood why the pastor had said that they’d missed
Ryann’s voice. She also noticed the way that Ryann sang. She would close her eyes and sway slightly
with the music. It struck Jenny then
that Ryann was at home here. She was not
only comfortable but was a peace. Jenny
looked around her. She noticed a few
people that were like her, not really interested in being there. Yet the majority had looks on their faces
quite like Ryann’s. Indeed, Ryann’s
family, with the exception of Denver who wasn’t there, were all equally
comfortable and happy to be there.
The pastor
rose and began to speak on the book of Esther.
Normally Jenny would have blocked it out and daydreamed or something of
the sort. But she noticed that Ryann’s
whole family was not only listening but they were entranced. Many were even taking notes. Curious to know what was so interesting,
Jenny began to listen. She found that it
was more interesting than she would have first thought. He spoke about a God who uses negative events
in people’s lives for good purposes. He
spoke of how God not only uses strong faith but honors it as well. What struck
her was the claim of God’s sovereign power in accord with his undying
love. The idea that God has power over
everything, good and bad, was new to her.
She had heard that God created the world. She knew that He had died on a cross, which
was confusing if He were truly God. But
she had never given much thought to God’s ability.
It confused
her even more. Why would anyone follow a
God that had the power to stop bad things from happening, but chose not
to—would even go as far as to say that He was responsible for the bad things
that happen? She supposed that in the
context of Esther, she could understand.
God allowed Esther to be plucked out of her life and placed in a harem. What a sorry existence that would’ve
been. She guessed that she could
understand that God had not abandoned Esther, the proof being that she out of
all of the women was chosen to be the queen.
But still, why would she risk her life?
Yet how could she not? She
couldn’t live with letting her people die while she sat in her mansion
protected.
Faith. Exactly what is it? She looked down at the insert in her
bulletin. Ironically enough, it answered
it. Hebrews 11: 1, 17-18, 32-34. Now
faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received
the promises was offering up his only begotten son; it was he to whom it was
said, “In Isaac your descendants shall be called.” He considered that God is
able to raise people even from the dead, from which he also received him back
as a type. And what more shall I say? For time will fail me if I tell of
Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthath, of David and Samuel and the prophets, who by
faith conquered kingdoms, performed acts of righteousness, obtained promises,
shut the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the
sword, from weakness were made strong, became mighty in war, put foreign armies
to flight.
Jenny knew a little about some
of the characters mentioned. Her mother
had told her Bible stories when she was younger. She tried to put these passages in her own
words. What was faith? The assurance of things hope for-- hope in
God’s promises? The conviction of things
not seen-- trusting that God would do as he promised? It wasn’t just trust though. It was putting trust into action. These people stepped out in faith. They put their lives on the line with only
the reassurance that God would do what was best for them. They bet their lives on God fulfilling His
promises.
Jenny thought
about that for a long moment. Could she
trust that God loved her and would do what was best for her? She looked at Ryann sitting next to her. How did Ryann fit into this? How had and would God use all her pain and
suffering for His good purpose? She
didn’t see a way that it would be possible.
She remembered then her favorite Bible story as a child, Joseph and the
coat of many colors. She thought of all
the horrible things that happened to him.
Time after time something bad happened and time after time God proved
his love by being with Joseph. He proved
his plan by making Joseph one of the most powerful people in Egypt and saving
his family, God’s people, through that plan.
Yet, she recalled, even that didn’t last
long. Years later God’s people became
slaves. A voice rose in her mind as if
arguing with her. And how did God use
that? She thought of the answer. He
showed his might and power through Moses.
He showed his ability to control nature and his power over life and
death. She seemed to recall that the Egyptians wanted them to leave so badly
that they even paid them to do so. God
fought the war and the Hebrews got the bounty. As the congregation stood to
sing another song, Jenny made a choice.
Believing in God came down to faith and she had none.
Ryann had
not felt this good in a very long time.
She had forgotten what it felt like to be surrounded by God’s people, to
sing His praises, to hear His word. She
was home at last. She noticed several
times throughout the sermon that Jenny was deep in thought. She wondered what her friend was thinking and
made a mental note to ask her later.
After the service everyone would gather together for snacks and conversation. Ryann was again a little nervous but her
family, that of the church and blood, soon put her nerves to rest. She felt quite relaxed and at ease until she
spotted someone in the background. It
couldn’t be him, could it? She took a
sideways step to get a better look. It was him.
He spotted
her then and started walking towards them.
As he approached he did his famous elevator eyes, but not quite as
disdainful as the first time. “You are looking fabulous today,” He
observed. “Though I do say I’ve seen you
more dressed up, I don’t believe I’ve ever seen you look more beautiful.”
Ryann used
every defense mechanism she had ever learned to stop herself from
blushing. “You look the same as always,”
she countered.
Josey’s
brows rose at the exchange. “Hello, Mr.
Kacie.”
“Hello,
Josey. You’re looking quite well
yourself today.” He glanced over at Teri who wasn’t far away. “Indeed, I would say all of the sisters are
quite beautiful today.” He smiled at Jenny, “Including the adopted one.”
“Well
aren’t you the smooth talker,” Jenny responded.
Bryant
grinned and his eyes sparkled. “I do
try.”
“I will say
this,” Ryann said with almost a disinterested voice, “it is a slight
improvement.”
He turned
and looked her full in the face. “Ahh,
that is true. But I must say the
improvements in you are quite satisfactory.”
He grinned, a childlike glee in his face. “I need to talk to some people. It was truly
nice to see you here today. I hope to
see you again in the near future.” He
nodded his goodbye and walked away.
“I’m
surprised to see him here,” Ryann stated.
“Really? He’s one of the deacons.” Josey said.
Ryann
thought about that. “Interesting,” was
all that she said.
“You do
know that he’s been working on your case?” Josey asked.
“Yes, he’s
who I talked about it with.”
“You didn’t
like him?” She asked. “Except for a slight suspicion towards you, we all found
him a bit charming.” Josey said with a grin.
Ryann gave
her an unimpressed look. “No, he was fine.”
“Then why
the tension?” she asked.
“You are
nosey, little one.”
“It’s in my
job description,” she countered.
“Let’s just
say that Mr. Kacie and I have met before and well, we didn’t see eye to eye.”
Jenny
laughed at that. “That’s the understatement of the year.” It gained her a dirty
look.
“Okay,”
Josey said, “I obviously will have to grill Jenny later for the details.”
Ryann
grabbed her sister and put her in a head lock. “You are not so grown that I
can’t turn you over my knee and spank you.”
Josey
giggled, not a bit frightened at Ryann’s threat. “Do remember that we are in a
church and not your military playground. If you get too riley, then you’ll be
hearing those same words from mother.”
As if on cue,
“Ryann, let your little sister go,” Lorna stated from half way across the room.
Ryann did
as instructed. “Behave,” she warned her.
Josey’s grin
did not reassure her.
Ryann heard
her name being called from behind. She turned to see two of her college friends
coming up to greet her. “Hi, guys!” She hugged them both.
“Hi,
Ryann,” they said in unison.
They talked
for a while about events going on it their lives. Then one of them asked Ryann
if she would like to go with them to their old club this coming Friday. Ryann
looked at Jenny. “You feel up to it?”
Jenny
shrugged. “Why not?”
Ryann
nodded. “Yes, that would be great.”
They looked
at Josey. “You in?”
“Always.”
“Okay,
we’ll meet you there at eight.”
“It’s a
deal.” Ryann said her goodbye’s and turned to Josey. “You’re a clubber are
you?”
“Oh, I go
occasionally.” She knew what her sister was getting at. “Don’t look so worried,
Ryann. They don’t serve alcohol to under age drinkers. Not that I would drink
it anyway.”
Ryann
smiled. “It’ll be nice to go back to an old haunt.”
Josey
smiled devilishly. “Yes, I’ve heard about the olden days. I can hardly wait to
see you in your element.”
“Hmm, don’t
count on a show.” Ryann warned.
Josey
looked at her questioningly. “Oh, really? We’ll see, we’ll see.”
Ryann
lightly hit Josey upside the head. “C’mon, squirt, let’s round up the folks and
go home.”
Jenny was
quite curious to know about the olden day events that Josey was referring to.
But Josey wouldn’t tell her anything unless she spoke up about Bryant, and
Ryann had already threatened her life on the subject. So Jenny waited for the
weekend with a bit of anticipation.
Everyone
was ready to go but Ryann had disappeared. Afraid she had changed her mind
Jenny went looking for her. She found her on the phone in her room. “There’s no
forwarding information at all? A billing address?” She made an irritated
sighing sound. “Okay, thanks.” She put the phone down and grabbing a pen made a
line through something listed on a sheet of paper. She shook her head.
“You
alright?”
“Yeah,” she threw the pen on the
table. “Kit’s gone missing again.”
“Kit? Oh yeah, Doog. Again?”
“Yes, again.” She walked over to the
window. “She left the hospital and disappeared. I’ve looked everywhere. I even
had a buddy of mine check for credit card uses. She is no where to be found.”
“What are you thinking? Is she in
trouble.”
“No, but she will be when I find her.” She crossed her arms tightly. “I should have known that day. She didn’t tell me about David’s case just to inform me. She was distracting me.” She clinched her fists. “I should have gone with her.” She looked thoughtful. “I could report her as missing. It’s well past time. She hasn’t showed up for work. I could totally report it. As far as we know it could be serious.”
Jenny was a bit confused. “But you don’t really think it is?”
“No, but she will be when I find her.” She crossed her arms tightly. “I should have known that day. She didn’t tell me about David’s case just to inform me. She was distracting me.” She clinched her fists. “I should have gone with her.” She looked thoughtful. “I could report her as missing. It’s well past time. She hasn’t showed up for work. I could totally report it. As far as we know it could be serious.”
Jenny was a bit confused. “But you don’t really think it is?”
“No, she’s just running.”
“Why?”
Ryann looked at her. “It’s a long
story and not one I can really go into without talking to her first. What it
comes down to is that we have a very in depth past and we need to talk about
some stuff.”
“So you really knew her well.”
“Yeah, I said that.”
“But you didn’t act that.”
“I didn’t recognize her. She’s changed
a lot since I knew her.” She sighed and looking up gave it to the Lord. Please watch over her and bring her back. “Speaking
of that let’s keep this to ourselves for now.”
Jenny shrugged. “Okay.” She could
see the point where Ryann was letting it go. “So now what?”
“We have a party to go to.”
“Okay, we’re ready.”
“Great, let’s go.” She took one more glance at the pad. She had written down possible leads and scratched each out. She wasn’t done looking, but it would be in God’s hands to what she found.
“Great, let’s go.” She took one more glance at the pad. She had written down possible leads and scratched each out. She wasn’t done looking, but it would be in God’s hands to what she found.
When Ryann
walked into the club she got quite a shock. Almost every person she had gone to
college with was standing in the room. Jesse, one of the girls from church, ran
up to greet them. She laughed softly at Ryann’s surprise. “Oh, didn’t we tell
you that this was sort of an unofficial college reunion?”
Ryann
looked over at her little sister. “No, no one mentioned that.” She had a pretty
strong suspicion that someone had known. She grabbed her sister’s shoulder and
led her to a table. “You are a pain.”
“And you
love it,” Josey replied.
“Hmm, I
suppose.”
Jenny had
to admit that she was enjoying herself. She liked being around Ryann’s friends.
It was apparent how much they all liked and respected Ryann. It was a fun
group. Still, it made Jenny more aware of the age difference between her and
Ryann. She wondered if she and Ryann would have even been friends if they had
known each other before. Ryann kept an eye on her the entire night, and somehow
that reassured Jenny that the what if’s didn’t matter. She was Ryann’s friend
now and nothing would change that.
Suddenly a
group of five girls approached Ryann. Ryann looked at them inquisitively but
slowly the knowledge of why they were there crossed her face. “No! No way. I
can’t. Do you know how long it has been?”
Jesse
laughed at her. “Are you saying that you’ve forgotten how?”
Ryann
thought about that. “No, I think I still remember.”
“Then?”
Ryann
laughed bewildered. “We would have to dance to Britney. Do you know how old we
are? Can we really respectfully dance to Britney?”
That drew
laughs from all of them, except Jenny who wasn’t sure what was going on.
“You’re not afraid are you?” Josey asked amused.
“Watch it,
little one, or you’ll be up there next.”
“I have.
Some of the girls taught me a few of your moves last year. I was your
unofficial stand in. It was quite sad. I wasn’t very good but at least I wasn’t
a chicken about it.”
Ryann gave
her sister a stealthy look. “Fine.” She looked up at the girls. “I suppose I
owe it to you for my absence from earlier festivities. Let’s go for it.”
Jenny sat
next to Josey and watched inquisitively. “I’m going to like this, aren’t I?”
“Yes, this
should be good,” Josey responded.
Ryann took
front and center on stage. Two of the girls stood behind her and the last three
behind them, so that they spread out like a pyramid. Ryann called for
everyone’s attention. Everyone turned and before she could say anything, they
began cheering madly. She laughed and shook her head. This was either going to
be the most fun she had had in a long time, or the most embarrassment she had
had in a long time. The music began to play and the crowd quieted down. Ryann
let her memory take over and the six of them danced as they had in college. How
embarrassing was it to be her age and dancing to Britney. Embarrassing but fun.
Ten of them had made up the dance together and it rivaled that of what was
popular at the time. Ryann was a bit rusty but the moves came back to her
quickly.
The song
ended and she stood before the cheering group trying to catch her breath.
Dancing was a lot different than what she was used to. She was in shape but she
wasn’t used to the constant and quick movements. She was about to step off the
stage when the group began to chant. “Sing! Sing! Sing!”
“Oh, no.
No!” she shouted. “No way!”
The group
chanted louder. “Sing! Sing! Sing!”
One of the
DJ’s uncovered a karaoke screen at the bottom of the stage and handed her a
headset microphone. She looked at the group behind her. They were already in
formation. “I haven’t sung for a really long time.”
“You hadn’t
danced either and look how well that turned out. C’mon, Keller, buck up!” Jesse
argued.
The
reference to Ryann’s maiden name brought back the past swiftly. “Okay, I’ll do
it.”
She turned
and saw a familiar title appear on the screen. She smiled and looked up at the DJ. She almost expected to see
one or both of her two best friends standing there instructing the DJ but he
was alone. They were both noticeably absent from the festivities or they would
be right up there with her. The DJ gave her the thumbs up signal. She focused
on the song. This number consisted of both singing and dancing, hence the
headset instead of a hand held. She would need both hands free. She hoped that
she had enough air to both sing and dance. The music started and she quickly
fell into step with the beat. When they were finished she was hot, sweaty, and,
she decided, was having the most fun that she’d had in a long time. She pleaded
that she needed a break and the crowd allowed her to step off the stage after
forcing her to take a bow.
She walked
up to her table. Josey sat there with a pleased smirk on her face. Ryann
tweaked her nose. Jenny’s look was both amused and impressed. Ryann sat down
exhausted. “Next training that we’re going to do is dance aerobics or something
of the sort. That wore me out.”
Jenny
laughed. “You’re up to it. I think it’s the emotional aspect that wore you
out.”
“Perhaps,”
Ryann agreed, “but I’d like to see if you could do it.”
Jenny
didn’t respond to that. “I am impressed, Ryann. I would have never guessed it.”
Ryann looked pleased at her comment. “I thoroughly enjoyed it.” She glanced at
a table not far away. “I’m not the only one either.”
Ryann
followed Jenny’s glance. Without warning, her face turned bright red and she
turned away. The most fun night had just turned into the most embarrassing.
“What is he doing here?”
Jenny
laughed, quite amused by the reaction. “I’d say he was invited.”
Ryann
looked at Josey in question. Josey eyed her suspiciously. “He’s become good
friends with some of the guys. They include him in everything.”
Ryann
nodded. “I think I’m going to make a little trip to the restroom.”
Jenny
waited until she had gone. She turned to Josey. “Josey, you’re good at getting
your sister to do things.”
“You mean
I’m good at goading her into things.”
“Yes,”
Jenny agreed.
“What do
you want?” Josey asked.
“Can you
get her to dance with Bryant?”
Josey
thought for a moment. She spotted Ryann heading back this way. “Yes,” she
replied.
Ryann sat
down. “What are you two up to?” She asked. Music started playing and people
began gathering on the dance floor.
Josey
looked over at Ryan. “Truth or Dare, Ryann?”
Ryann
looked at her amused. “Truth.”
Josey
thought for a long moment. Her brow furrowed as a question rose in her mind.
“What were you doing that day?” She asked, “That day when I had car trouble and
had to go into your house to use the phone?”
The color
faded from Ryann’s face slightly. Ryann cleared her throat. “Dare,” she said
softly.
Josey
closed her eyes and pushed away the emotions that threatened to rise. She had
gotten her answer. She opened her eyes and looked at Ryann. “Okay, dare.” She
nodded towards Bryant. “Three dances.”
Ryann
stared at her for a moment. She hadn’t expected the question. She searched to
make sure that Josey was alright. The amusement of the dare had already
replaced the wounded look. She looked over at Bryant. “You can’t think of
anything better than that?”
Josey
shrugged. “Hey, if it’s too hard, we understand.”
Ryann
looked sharply at her. “What is that supposed to mean?”
Jenny and
Josey shared a glance. Ryann could feel the conspiracy. “I see.”
Jenny
smiled knowingly at her. “Thin line between love and hate,” she stated.
Ryann gave
her a dirty look. “Hardly the case here.”
“Prove it,”
Josey dared.
Ryann stood
in a huff and headed toward Bryant’s table. “At least one slow song,” Josey
called after her. Ryan flashed her a dirty look.
She stepped
up to Bryant. “Sitting it out tonight?” she asked him.
He looked
over at her. A bright smile appeared on his face. “Oh, I’ve had a few offers
but I respectfully declined.”
“And why is
that?”
He looked
down at his drink and then back up at her. “Well, perhaps I was just waiting for
the right person to ask.”
She cocked
her right brow. What was he implying? “Well, I certainly don’t fit the bill for
that but if you’ve changed your mind about just dancing with anyone, I’d be
pleased to join you.”
He smiled
at the passive aggressive slam. It didn’t fit the situation. He looked over at
her table. All eyes were on them. “What’s up? I feel a conspiracy.”
“Hmm.
Pretty thick in here isn’t it.”
He looked
at her inquisitively. “What’s going on?”
“Truthfully?”
He nodded for an answer. “Truth or Dare?”
He
snickered. “I see. Who gave the dare?”
“Josey.”
He nodded
and took a sip of his drink. “Well, I’m not sure whether I should be grateful
or insulted at being the butt end of a dare.”
“Well, with
Josey, you can usually take the more positive of the two.”
His smile
broadened. “I would have to agree with that. She’s a good kid.” He stood and
put out his hand. “Any stipulations?”
“One slow song.”
He took her
hand and started for the dance floor. “I like how she thinks.” He stopped and
pulled her into a casual dancing position. “So, that was an impressive
performance that you put on.”
She blushed
slightly. “Well peer pressure you know.”
“I was
impressed. I’m not sure that I’ll get the image of you out of my head for quite
a while.”
She looked
down at her shoes. Why was she letting him get to her? She took a deep breath
and looked back up at him. “I have my moments.”
“That you
do. I’ve seen some of them up close.” He gave her a little twirl and brought
her back. “It’s not the first time that you’ve impressed me.” She saw a mischievous
glint in his eyes. “At least I’m not taped to a chair for this one.”
“Oh, I
figured that you would be too furious to be impressed.” She countered.
He grinned.
“That was just a cover. Do you know why I really reacted like such a jerk those
few days?”
“Why?” she
inquired.
“Well, all
my life my father told me that women were inferior. He taught me that they
either needed to be protected, dominated, or used. I know, pretty stupid but
when you hear it everyday for most of your life it’s easier to believe. I never
had a good relationship with my father but continued to believe everything that
he said. That is, until I met you.”
“Hadn’t you
ever been beaten by a woman before?” she asked.
“Yes, that
wasn’t what rocked my assumption. I walked into that room ready to dominate you
and you wouldn’t have it. Then I tried to protect you and you wouldn’t have
that. That left the using part of his theory. I looked at this beautiful, spit
fire woman and I didn’t want to use you, not like that. What I really wanted
was to get to know you better; which frankly annoyed me. I had a sneaking
suspicion that my father was wrong about you and if he was wrong about you,
then he was probably wrong about other women as well. It continued on from
there. For the first time in my life I was doubting the “truths” that my father
had taught me. I decided that it was just my attraction for you clouding my
judgment so I set out to beat you and prove my theory wrong. Only you proved it
right.”
He twirled
her again. He was pretty good at keeping to the beat of the music even when he
wasn’t paying much attention. “I couldn’t get you out of my mind. I even
dreamed about you. I decided not to renew my contract and go back home. It just
got worse and worse. I was confused and lost. So I talked to a friend of mine
and he told me again what he had tried to tell me a hundred times. Only then I
was ready to listen.”
“So
basically what you are saying is that I drove you to God.”
He nodded
in agreement. “Pretty much.”
“Well, I’m
glad that I could be of service.”
“Yes, me
too.”
The song
changed and he switched tempos slightly. He looked earnestly into her eyes. “I
wish that I could have met David. From everything I’ve seen and heard he was a
good man. I think I really would have liked him.”
Ryann
pushed down the lump in her throat. “Thank you.”
Bryant held
her gaze. He leaned into her slightly. “You really are an amazing woman, Ryann
Kodi.”
Their faces
were mere inches apart and suddenly the air felt very thin. Ryann wanted to
pull away but she couldn’t move. He tipped his head to the side slightly.
“Ryann, do you,” he paused. He straightened up and cleared his throat. “Do you
know how to swing?” He asked.
She was a
little taken back by his question. Somehow she didn’t think it was what he was
going to ask. “Yes, but it’s been a very long time.”
“Do you
remember how? You think you could try it?”
She
grimaced a little contemplating falling on her backside in front of the whole
crowd. “Sure, I could try.”
He left to
go request a song. Ryann walked back to her table. Josey was grinning
triumphantly. “You’re not done yet. Don’t worry, third times a charm.”
Ryann’s
eyes flashed. She wasn’t amused. “Watch it, little one.”
Bryant
walked up. “You ready?”
“Yes.” She
followed him to the middle of the dance floor. Everyone spread out and gave
them some room. The song started and before she knew it, she was being swung,
tossed, twirled, rocked, and lifted into the air. Bryant was good. Ryann hadn’t
danced with someone this good since she had taken a class in college. David
hadn’t really liked to dance fast. He would occasionally because she liked it,
but it wasn’t his style. He liked the slow dances. He would take her hand in
his, put it to his chest and hold her close. David liked control and order. He
brought out the calm side of Ryann. She generally was not like that. She liked
the fast paced dances. She was the type to sit out the window of the car and
howl at the moon. It had been a wonder that the two had fallen in love.
Opposites attract, they say.
They danced
through two songs. She was reluctant to quit but needed the rest. “That was
fun.” She told him a little winded. “You’re pretty good,” she admitted.
“You’re not
bad yourself.” A slow song began to play. “One more?” he asked.
“Sure.” The
dance was significantly slower, even seductively so. She looked up at the DJ.
Josey was walking away from him. Ryann was pretty sure who had requested the
song. She was going to have to put the rugrat in her place.
Bryant
grabbed her hand and put it to his chest. He pulled her in close. Ryann
stiffened but he just pulled her along with him. Slowly she began to relax.
“There, that wasn’t so hard, was it?”
“What?” she
asked.
“Relaxing
in my arms,” he answered.
She didn’t
answer. She just leaned her head against his so that she wouldn’t have to look
at him. They danced in silence for most of the song. He pulled back slightly
before it ended. “You were the right one.”
“The right
one for what?” she asked in a whisper.
“The right
person for a dance.” He leaned into her then.
Ryann’s
heart beat was in her throat as he moved closer, then as his lips met hers,
suddenly her heart stopped beating altogether. She froze initially but soon the
warmth of his lips beckoned a response. She found herself kissing him back.
Silence sounded out all around them. For that instant it was just the two of
them alone in the room. Then Shania Twain’s voice filled the air. Ryann’s gut
wrenched as Shania began to sing You’re
Still The One.
“Crap,” Josey said sharply under
her breath when she heard the song. Jenny looked at her in surprise.
Ryann
stepped back quickly, a wounded look on her face. Bryant took a step toward her
but she held him back with her outstretched hand. “I’m sorry,” she choked out.
She turned
and hurriedly walked toward the door. Josey called her name as she passed but
she stuck her hand out and flashed her a major “leave me alone” look. “Great,
that worked well.”
“What just
happened?” Jenny asked.
“This was
her and David’s song,” Josey explained. “Perhaps I should have specified which
love songs to play.” She rubbed under her eyes with her right hand forefinger
and thumb. This was not going to be pleasant. “I’d better go talk with her.”
Jenny put
out a hand to stop her from getting up. “I would wait a while if I were you.”
Josey took
heed of her caution. “Okay, you’re probably right. She looked rather steamed.”
“To put it
lightly.” About ten minutes later Jenny ventured out into the parking lot
looking for Ryann. She found her sitting on the ground by the car, leaning
against the wheel. “You alright?” she asked.
Ryann
looked up at her. “Fine,” she put her hand down and pushed herself up off the
ground. Twisting around, she dusted the dirt off of her pants. “How are you?”
Jenny
wasn’t daunted. “It’s okay, you know.”
“What is?”
“Being
attracted to another man.”
Ryann shot
her a dirty look, which in no mistaken terms told her to back off. She still
wasn’t daunted. “It’s bound to happen sooner or later, even if it isn’t
Bryant.”
“Drop it,
Jenny.”
Jenny
crossed her arms and braced herself. “No, I don’t think so.”
“Don’t push
it,” Ryann warned.
“You know,
I would stop but as many times as I’ve had to listen to you lecture me about
Luke, it’s my turn. Now you listen.”
Ryann
sighed but didn’t object. “Fine, take your shot.”
Jenny
smiled gently. “You didn’t just cheat on David in there. I know it may feel
that way but David is gone, Ryann. He’s not coming back. More over, he’d
probably be relieved to see it.”
“How do you
figure that?” Ryann shot out.
“I may have
never met David but I think that I’ve gotten to know him through you, your
family, and Jason has helped a lot as well. I think that I can say with some
certainty that David would have hated what you did. He would have been the
first one to track you down after you ran and tell you to get your act
straight. I think he would have told you that you were not acting like the
woman that he loved and married. He would have been glad to see that you
finally have begun to move on.” She took a step towards Ryann. “You’re not a
married woman anymore, Ryann. It’s okay to like someone. Maybe not Bryant,
that’s fine, but you don’t have to reject the male race altogether. David
wouldn’t expect it of you and no one else does either.” She reached out and
wiped away the tear that was rolling down her friend’s cheek. “He’s gone,
sweetie. It’s time to let him go.”
Ryann
sniffled and wiped at her eyes. She knew that Jenny was right but it was easier
said than done. She laughed at her own defense. It was the same thing that
Jenny said about Luke. “Okay, you’ve made your point.” Ryann gathered her
emotions together. “Let’s go back inside.”
Jenny
nodded in agreement. “After you.”
Ryann
entered the building and scanned the area. Bryant was standing near the bar. He
looked a little sick. She didn’t know whether to approach him or not. He
spotted her and made the decision for her. He walked over to join them. Jenny
went back to the table to give them a little privacy.
“I’m sorry,
Ryann,” he said softly when he had come to a stop.
“It’s okay,
Bryant. We got caught up in the moment, bygones.”
He studied
her for a moment before answering. “Sure, bygones.”
Bryant left
shortly after. After they had spoken he had walked to his table and downed his
drink. He sat there quietly, brooding. When one of his friends came over, he
said his goodbye’s, paid his bill, and left without a word to anyone else.
Ryann watched him go and then turned her attention back to the party. They
didn’t stay long after that. Ryann made the rounds and said goodbye to all of
her friends. She rounded up her companions and headed out to the car.
Josey
jumped in the back seat and Jenny in the passenger seat. Ryann was driving her
mom’s car. It was probably about time that she went to the house and got her
own. She’d been to the house since it happened, but it was hard every time.
“Who has the keys to my garage?” she asked Josey.
“Dad.
They’re on his key chain.”
Walter
would be asleep by now and was leaving early in the morning. He’d be home
around six the next day. She glanced over at Jenny. “You want to drive me to
the house and pick up my car?”
Jenny
blushed slightly, which nearly made Ryann lose control of the car. “What?”
Ryann asked.
“I can’t. I
have a date.”
Ryann was
taken back. “Really?! With who?” She looked in her rear view mirror. Josey was
grinning like the Cheshire cat. She knew who the mystery date was. That girl
knew everything. She looked over at Jenny as the came to a stop at a light.
“Come on, who?”
Jenny
blushed again. “Denver,” she answered.
Ryann was
so surprised that she missed the green light. Luckily there was no one behind
her at that time of night. “Oh,” she waited for the next green light and drove
on.
“Is that
okay?” Jenny asked cautiously.
Ryann
peered over at her. “I’m just surprised, is all.”
“You sure,
cause I’ll tell him that I changed my mind if it bothers you.”
“Why would
it bother me? It doesn’t bother me. I just didn’t see it coming.” She turned
the corner onto their block. What was with her brother? Did he have some
fascination with her friends? Not that she blamed him. Jenny was great. The two
would actually fit well together, perhaps even better than he and Elizabeth,
but they were both carrying a lot of baggage. She didn’t know how she was going
to pick up the pieces with Beth; she didn’t want to deal with a spill out
between Jenny and Denver.
“I can see
it bothers you. I know you, Ryann. I can tell. You’re bothered.” Jenny accused.
“I’m not
bothered. I’m concerned. There is a difference you know.” Ryann countered. She
pulled into the drive and shut off the car. She looked in the back seat. “Out,
rat.”
“I take offense at that,” Josey stated as she opened the door.
“Good,
offending is in my job description. Now out,” she ordered.
Josey gave
her a smirk and followed orders. Ryann waited until the door was closed. “Have
I missed something,” she asked.
Jenny
turned toward Ryann and leaned against the door. “We live under the same roof
and we both enjoy talking about you. We’ve spent some time together.” She
explained.
“So why
haven’t I heard anything about this?” Ryann asked. “Josey seemed to know.”
“What
doesn’t your baby sister know? She’s like a walking diary. She knows everything
that’s going on in this house.” Ryann just looked at her and waited for an
answer. Jenny shrugged. “I like him. He’s a nice guy.”
“You don’t
have to sell me on his qualities, Jenny. He’s my brother. How much do you like
him? Is this serious?”
“It’s a
date, Ryann. We’re not getting married, at least not tomorrow.”
“Very
funny, McCarty.”
“Oooh, you
really are bugged about this, aren’t you?” She studied Ryann’s body language.
Sometimes it was the best way to read Ryann. “You don’t think we fit together?
Or are you afraid that I’ll break your brother’s heart?” She was beginning to
feel a little offended.
“Don’t even
get defensive with me,” Ryann warned. “There is a reason that you haven’t
mentioned this to me. I want to know why. When did he ask you?” She averted her
eyes. “That long ago, huh?”
“Look,
Ryann, I just didn’t know how you would react. I didn’t want to make a big deal
about it. It’s just a date.” Jenny could feel Ryann scrutinizing her. “What’s
the problem, Ryann?”
“You really
like him, don’t you?”
Jenny was
held by Ryann’s gaze. She wanted to look away, but knew that was what Ryann was
expecting. “He’s a great guy.”
Ryann
huffed. “My goodness. It was right under my nose and I didn’t even see it.
You’ve fallen for my brother.”
“No one has
done any falling,” Jenny argued. “It is a date, Ryann. Just one single date.
That is all.”
Ryann
grabbed Jenny’s chin in her hand. “Do you remember who you are talking to? Huh?
I know you, Jenny. Moreover, I know about you. I know about your baggage, my
dear, and this is not a little thing.”
Jenny pulled
out of her hand. “Okay, fine. I’m not trying to pull one over on you. I don’t
know what it is, Ryann. Maybe it’s because he’s your brother. I don’t know, but
I trust him. That’s a new feeling for me. I just wanted to try it out. It’s
just a date.” She attested.
Ryann
thought about Jenny’s argument. “I’m worried. I won’t lie to you.”
“Why?”
Ryann
leaned back hard against the seat. “Déjà vu,” she explained. “Denver’s ex-wife
was one of my best friends. We were good friends before even high school and
even better friends in college. She is one of my favorite people in this world
and I’m terrified to see her again. When I last saw her, she was married to my
brother. Now they’re not only divorced, she has remarried. I don’t know how to
deal with that.” She turned to Jenny. “I never want to have that barrier
between us.” She ran her hands up and down the wheel. “You rescued me, Jenny. I
was on a downward spiral. Even Kit was at her wit’s end. She was losing me and
if you hadn’t come along I would have hit the bottom hard. I almost did
anyway.”
“Ryann,”
Jenny said softly. “I’m not about to let a man, not even your brother come
between us. You rescued me too, if you don’t remember.”
Ryann
reached out and patted Jenny’s cheek. “Just be careful. You both have a lot of
baggage. I don’t want either of you to get hurt.”
“Warning
heard and heeded. Don’t worry.”
Ryann
couldn’t help but worry. She had a bad feeling that something was going to go
wrong. It had been building up for a while now. If truth be known, she would
love for the two to fall in love and get married. Then Jenny would have no
choice but be a part of their family. She sometimes worried that Jenny would
get scared off and run from them as she had from her own family. She looked at
her friend. Oh, David, you would
absolutely adore her.
No comments:
Post a Comment