Chapter
4
It was almost dinner
time when she walked into the kitchen. Her father and Travis were sitting at
the table. Ms May was bustling about. Kadey grabbed a jar of pickles out of the
fridge. To her chagrin she couldn’t get the lid off. Between the ointment on
her hands and their slightly tender condition she couldn’t get a good enough
grin. Furthermore her father had noticed her struggle but hadn’t actually
indicated that he had. She could tell though. He had this way about him. Travis
was complaining yet again about their troublesome horse.
“I just don’t understand
why you keep the miserable beast.”
“Travis, just give up
on him. Maybe green broke is the best we’ll ever get out of him,” her father
responded calmly. He stood to get himself another cup of coffee. He poured his
then gestured to ask if she’d like one. She nodded and he poured another cup.
“I don’t think you
can call that green broke even. Half the time he’d like nothing more than kill
us all.”
“You’re
exaggerating.”
“I don’t think so.
What possible reason do you have for keeping him?”
The grin on her
father’s face indicated that there was a specific reason but he wasn’t going to
share it. “I say,” he grabbed the jar from her hands and twisted the lid loose.
He then handed it back without any indication that anything was going on, “you
need to just let it go.”
Travis mumbled under
his breath. “You won’t let me. As long as the beast is here I have to try and
break it.”
Dan smiled. “Perhaps
he’s just not the breakable kind.”
“A bullet would do
the trick,” he mumbled.
“Okay, enough. If you
want to drive yourself mad trying to do the “impossible” then I won’t stop you
but we’re tired of hearing about it.”
“Here here,” Kadey
chimed in. She didn’t think it was appreciated by either of them. She cleared
her throat for a transition. She looked at her father. It was now or never. “Is
Cleve Stein still your lawyer?”
Her father studied
her closely. “Yes,” he answered slowly.
“Mind if I give him a
call?”
If ever there was a
good segue way into buttin into her business this was one. The small voice that
often spoke to him cautioned him to hold back his query. “Sure.” He took a sip
of his coffee and headed back to his seat.
“Thanks.” She added
some cream and sugar to her own cup after she scooped out a few pickles.
Travis shook his head
at the exchange. This was ridiculous. “So my curiosities got the best of me.
You getting a divorce?”
Kadey considered him
silently. Her intent was obvious just as before. She was deciding whether or
not to answer. Again it was none of his business and she had no problem
ignoring him but on the other hand, she had to tell them sometime. She twisted
the lid onto the pickle jar and tightened it. “Yes,” she finally answered. As
she opened the door to the fridge she gave him a sideways glance.
Dan would have liked
to slap the boy upside the head so hard his forehead hit the table but he
steadied himself. Travis seamed just fine with the situation. “I’m sorry to
hear that.”
She paused to assess
him. He said it with complete sincerity and her slight ire at his question dissipated.
She nodded her response.
“At least there were
no kids to complicate things,” he finished off.
She almost missed the
shelf with the jar. With a slow breath she fixed the jar steady and pushed it
back. A glance at her father asserted that he had seen the faltering reaction.
She just pretended it didn’t happen. She leaned against the counter and sipped
her coffee. No kids to complicate things. Was it a good trade off? Perhaps. She
would have fought for hers had she any, that was for certain. Course the
thought of Glenn and Tarrissa having any part in her kid’s lives was enough to
make her sick. Stop it. It doesn’t matter. There were no kids to worry about.
She could leave that life completely behind her. Kadey made eye contact with
her father again. She had a feeling he knew exactly what she was thinking. She
wasn’t sure how she felt about his being so able to read her. As a kid she
loved it. They were always on the same page. Now it was a bit unnerving.
“Cleve’s number’s in
my address book,” her father said.
“Thank you,” she left
the room to make the call. When she came back in the table was set and food
ready. She looked at the clock and saw she had held up dinner. Surprisingly,
nothing was said about the fact. She sat down and her father said the prayer.
Again she watched him as he spoke sincere words of thanks over their lives,
over their food, and continued preservation. It was one of the most familiar
sounds to her ears, her father’s prayer. Even after all that had happened she
couldn’t deny, to herself anyway, that it seamed to ease her heart.
After he finished, he
again didn’t comment on her lack of participation. “You get a meeting set up?”
“He can see me later
this afternoon. I’ll head out after we eat.” She looked to Ms May. “You need me
to pick anything up?”
She nodded. “I’ll get
you a list together.”
Kadey nodded. “Sounds
good.”
Cleve studied the
young woman before him. He’d been shocked to pick up the phone and hear her
voice on the line. He had to check the caller id again to make sure she was
really home. It didn’t surprise him that she was in a bind. He didn’t think she
would have come back without one. He’d felt rather responsible for their
situation. He wasn’t so sure that it wasn’t his fault Dan had chosen not to
fight. They’d talked about the possibility of divorce not long before Delila
had left him. It wasn’t Cleve’s specialty and he hadn’t caught up on the laws.
He was pretty grim on the subject of custody. In his experience the father
never won and it was always torture on the kids. Apparently Delila had
threatened him with the same information. Much later Cleve had decided that he
wasn’t so sure on the facts anymore. Course by then Dan refused to discuss the
situation. The damage was done and Cleve let it go.
She handed him a
folder. “I think that’s everything you’ll need from me. Let me know if there’s
anything else but I’m not sure what else I can do.”
He flipped through
the papers. “I have handled a few cases before but from what you’ve told me
this is a wealthy family with some pretty high powered lawyers. You sure you
don’t want someone specialized in divorce law?”
She hadn’t changed in
her dealings, he decided. She always had studied a person over and thought
about her answer before giving it. He’d always admired that about her even as a
child. He’d watched this girl grow up. She’d even called him uncle Cleve most
of her young life. He would do whatever was in his power to get her through
this and protect her, even if it meant getting her someone who could do a
better job.
“You are as close to
a brother as my father has. He trusts you with no exceptions that I know of. I
trust his judgment and I feel the same. I’m not in a real trusting state so
I’ll leave that to you. If you want an associate of whatever sort on this with
you that’s fine by me but I’d like your hand in it.”
He saw the vulnerable
girl inside, if only for a flickering moment. “Okay, Kadey. We’ll get it done.
Do you think he’s filled yet?”
She thought for a
moment. “He’s not the most organized man in the world. He won’t expect me to do
anything but she might. I don’t know.”
He nodded. “Okay.
I’ll look into it first thing.” He sighed. “What exactly are you looking for
out of this?”
“Truthfully?” She
leaned back. Revenge. That’s what he wanted to know. Was this about revenge?
Was it? “I don’t want anything from him but I don’t want to just let him have
his cake and eat it too. I’m not going to lie down like a dog and let him think
it was okay that he kicked me to get through the door.”
“So what exactly are
we going for?”
“A sizeable donation
to the charity of your choice.”
He smiled. “Okay.”
Kadey was emotionally
drained when she got back home. It was taking everything she had not to let the
situation take her over. She wouldn’t give in to it. She’d yet to cry and she
didn’t plan to. Just keep going and one day it’d be gone, at least that’s what
she told herself. She gathered herself together before walking through the
door. She’d spent the rest of the afternoon in town at the office and then
getting supplies. It was time for supper already and she was in no mood for
conversation. To her surprise that was fine by them. They let her sit in
silence and pick at her food. Usually Ms May would have told her to stop
decorating her plate with her food and eat it. She’d already fashioned her potatoes
into a reasonable shape of a pony. She assessed it wryly. An artist she was
not. She ate the pony’s head. It tasted much better than it looked. Too bad she
didn’t feel like eating.
She went for a walk
after supper. The exercise and stress of the day was settling down into her
shoulders and back. She hoped a short walk would help loosen her up. She
followed a familiar path that had lost some of the wear since last she’d been
on it. She ended up in her spot atop the hill. She leaned against the fence and
watched the sun go down.
She felt broken. She
leaned on the fence more for support than leisure. She didn’t feel she had the
strength to stand. She felt lost and alone. Maybe she should get that way too.
Maybe she should get in her car, drive off into the sunset and just get lost.
That just wasn’t her, at least not in a car. On the back of a horse she could
do that. Just set off and ride. She didn’t pay attention to direction or
terrain. Just to be a single unit on the move. She remembered the freedom. She
remembered the peace. She remembered being at home in God’s creation. She’d
seen more sunsets at this post then anywhere else on earth. It used to mean
something to her. You so sure it still
doesn’t? A small voice asked. She was so surprised at the voice in her head
she physically stepped back and tried to shake it off. Once she was fairly sure
the thought was gone she leaned back against the pole. You really think it’s that easy? “Okay, that’s enough. I’m not
talking to you!”
“I didn’t say
anything yet.”
Kadey jumped and
twirled around. “Holy crap!” She covered her heart with her hand. “You scared
me.”
Travis grinned.
“Really. It seemed a typical response to me. Girls often jump to when I’m
present.”
She gave him an
unimpressed look. “Well you’re a bit frightening at any given time but more so
when you sneak up on a body.”
“I don’t know if a
casual stroll would be considered much of a sneak.”
“Mmm.” She turned
back around to look at the sunset. “What you doing up here anyway?”
He shrugged. “You
seemed as though you shouldn’t be alone too long with just your thoughts. That
can be a dangerous thing in certain circumstances.”
She wasn’t sure what
to say. Mind your own business came to mind, but so did a sense of
appreciation. It was getting late. “Go home, Travis. I’ll see you tomorrow.”
He flashed her a
grin. “Alright. You have a good night miss Kade.”
She rolled her eyes
at him. She didn’t bother to tell him to drop the miss. He’d done it to rile
her a bit. It was a comment best ignored. She watched him walk away. He was a
good guy. With a sigh she made her own way in for the night. Her father and Ms
May were sitting at the table. Ms May looked rather bothered in a worried way.
“What?” Kadey asked.
“What, what?” her
father asked.
“Don’t what, what me.
Something’s up.”
He smiled. “Nothing
is up. We’re just discussing…” he paused, “the events of the next couple days.”
“What events would
those be?” she asked pulling out a chair.
“Well,” he started
slowly, “the stockmens sale is the day after tomorrow.”
“Oh. You headin out
in the morning?”
He smiled. “We were
planning on it.”
She shrugged. “Okay.”
She stood up and got herself a soda out of the fridge. She doubted it was a typical
item for this fridge. A few items had appeared since her arrival. As a child
she was chided for her liking of soda. Rotten teeth, ruined kidneys, among
other ailments were often mentioned every time she asked for one. Now the
fridge had a small supply. She sat back down and popped the top. “You going to
visit your sister?” she asked Ms May.
The older woman
hesitated. “That was the plan.”
Kadey studied the two
with their guarded looks. What was the problem? “Was?”
“I was thinking that
maybe I wouldn’t go this year.”
Kadey’s brows
furrowed in confusion. “Why? You only see her once or twice a year. Seams silly
not to go.” She didn’t get a response. Suddenly it dawned on her what the
problem was. “Ms May, do you think I’m looking for just the right opportunity
to escape?” She took a swig of her drink. Something told her she’d better enjoy
the un-chided soda drinking while she could. Once the fear of her disappearing
wore off she’d be getting all sorts of health tips again. “Don’t think that
your presence or lack of it would prompt or stop me from going if I had the
mind to. Unless something comes up I have no intentions of leaving any time
soon.” It wasn’t exactly a flowery reassurance but it was the best she could
offer right now. She’d have to get on with her life eventually. She just needed
to end the last one before she’d be ready to start the next one. The lack of
reassurance was obvious. “Would it put your mind at ease if I gave you my word
that barring an emergency I promise to be here when you get back?”
“You could come,” she
suggested.
“I think not,” she
had no desire for the drive or the sale. It had bored her to tears more than
enough as a kid. She wouldn’t willingly subject herself to it again. “I’d
rather watch paint dry.”
Her father chuckled
but said nothing.
She was going to have
to offer something more or Ms May was going to miss out on a good visit with
her sister. “You two haven’t happened to move into the 21st century
yet have you?”
“Meaning?”
“Do you have a cell
phone?”
Dan chuckled again
while Ms May shot her a dirty look. “Just happens we do.”
Kadey held out her
hand. Ms May got up and grabbed the phone. She handed it over. Kadey went to
the contact section and put in her name and number. With a sigh she pulled out
her own phone. She needed to get a new one with a new number but it could wait
a while. She turned it on for the first time in almost a week. She paused
before typing in the contact name. She settled on “Dan’s Cell” then looked up
the number on the other phone. After she’d typed it in she handed the phone
back. “Is that any better?”
Ms May grumbled
something incoherent.
“I’ll take that as a
yes.” She looked at her father. “So what about the horses?” She would have
straight out offered to tend them herself but she was pretty sure she’d get a
no. Course it would have been fun watching him stumble over a nice way to say
no while trying not to get himself in hot water. She met his eyes and realized
he was in her thoughts again. She’d lost her opportunity. He’d just flat out
refuse her now.
“Koh will tend them.”
Kadey’s lips
instantly curved into a smile at the name. Uncle Koh. She hadn’t forgotten
about him but hadn’t had time to think about him either. “He know I’m here?”
Dan shook his head.
“You think you’d be asking that question if the answer was yes?”
No. He’d have come
over to see her if he knew. “You going to tell him or let him be surprised.”
“He should be here
any minute now.”
She hadn’t been this
excited since she was a girl. When they heard the three horn blasts as he
pulled up she had to stop herself from racing out the door. She was the first
out and she quickly made her way to the fence at the end of the yard. He
stopped short when he saw her. She grinned the first true little kid grin in
eight years.
His eyes lit up.
“Kadey?!”
“Uncle Koh,” she
walked up to him as quickly as she could without actually running. His arms
were open and she threw her arms around his neck.
His hug lifted her
off her feet. He couldn’t believe it. Their girl had come home. He looked over
at Dan, his eyes large with wonder. Dan smiled but Koh could see the slight
edge of jealousy in his eyes. Kadey was home but she wasn’t back. He stepped
away. No need to rub salt in Dan’s wounds. “Look at you.” He complimented her
looks in his native tongue. She had not heard the Tanoan language in a long
time. Koh was a roving descendant of the Kiowa tribes that lived around the Texas
panhandle back in their day. His family had retained as much of their heritage
as possible. He had met up with Kadey’s father when they were both young and
adventurous. They had formed a lasting bond. Her father had settled down first
and when Koh had finally decided to plant roots of his own, he came here to do
so. He’d been a part of the family ever since.
“I’m not sure I live
up to that compliment but thank you,” she smiled brightly.
He rubbed her cheek
with the outside of his fingers. “It is good to see you.” He studied her. “You
going to be around long enough to see Cholena?”
“Yes sir, I am.”
“She’s staying here
while we go to the sale,” Dan informed him.
Koh nodded. “So
you’ll be over tomorrow night for a meal.”
It wasn’t a request.
She grinned. “Yes sir.”
“Good. We’ll expect
you.”
With that she was
dismissed. She chuckled. Some things didn’t change. He was an abrupt man and
she loved it. He was an interesting mix of old traditions and current customs.
They called him Koh because none of them could say, or remember for that
matter, his whole name. She did know that it could be translated as white crow,
which she liked to use to get his goat. He wasn’t bothered by his name but she
had made the point once to point out how crow like his chattering could be. He
couldn’t fathom what she possibly meant by the comment but he knew she’d
intended it with playful malice.
Kadey walked back to
the house and let the men do their conversing in private. It was a walk she’d
taken many times. It dawned on her half way there that she wasn’t a little girl
anymore. Why couldn’t she listen? Course they hadn’t exactly dismissed her. It
had just been expected. Some day she wouldn’t leave. That would make for an
interesting experiment. They probably wouldn’t know what to do.
Ms May was getting
her things together. She was mumbling under her breath as she did so. Kadey
could make out a couple of words every so often. She watched in content
amusement. Ms May finally noticed. “Don’t you have anything better to do than
gawk at me?”
“I do not gawk,”
Kadey asserted firmly. She flashed the woman a grin. Walking up to her Kadey
planted a kiss on the woman’s cheek. She saw surprise and pleasure at the
gesture. “Have a wonderful time. I will see you when you get back.” She stepped
back and looked at the woman who had practically raised her. Kadey owed her all
the peace of mind she could give her. “Okay?”
Ms May smiled but it
was a bit on the sad side. “Okay.”
Things were not fixed
and no amount of momentary reassurance would do it. Kadey knew what the woman
wanted of her and she couldn’t give it. This would do for now. “Goodnight, Ms
May.”
“Goodnight, darlin.”
She was a bit more
nervous than she’d expected. Now that the initial surprise and shock had worn
off she wasn’t so sure how her homecoming would be. Koh was waiting in the
drive when she pulled up. He was looking out towards her father’s domain. “What
you looking at?”
“I didn’t get to the
arena today. The wild one is there.”
Kadey followed his
gaze. “I can get him on my way home.”
Koh looked over at
her. “See to it, then.”
She smiled. “I will.”
He must not have
noticed her car the day before because he gave it a look over then. She had to
concentrate carefully on his opinion of it when he finally spoke. She hadn’t
caught much. “If you’re going to speak Tanoan to me you need to slow it down a
bit. I haven’t heard it in eight years.” She said teasingly.
He turned and gave
her an unmistakable look. Whose fault is that? rung in her ears even though it
hadn’t actually been spoken. She took a steadying breath. She was saved by the
sound of her name being called out. She turned to see Cholena walking towards
her arms open. She went to them willingly and thankfully.
Supper went
pleasantly. Cholena wasn’t bothered by situational un-comfort-ability. She
started filling Kadey in on the last eight years as though Kadey had simply
been on a long vacation or living over seas. Kadey actually liked it. It was
nice to not have crushed eggshells all over the floor. The tiptoeing was
tiring, necessary maybe, but tiring. Here it was relaxed. Just catching up on
old times, filled in on missed times, it felt nice.
Cholena stacked the
plates in the sink assuring Kadey that they could wait and her help was not
needed. She never stopped talking the entire time. Kadey often thought Cholena
was more of the chattering crow, then she remembered that Cholena actually
translated bird. It was fitting.
“You’re father had
more than enough to keep him busy. Worked too hard I think. He didn’t start
taking it easy until the doctor uttered the word cancer. Then all our worlds
just slowed to a stop.”
Kadey slowly rose to
a straight sitting position. She looked at Koh whose face was completely
neutral. He had known what was coming next and was prepared for a reaction.
“Cancer?”
Cholena stopped then.
She must have realized what she’d done and the situation finally caught up to
her. “Sorry, I’ve been talking too much,” she admitted. “Maybe you should tell
us about your time?”
Kadey was
flabbergasted. Did they really think she’d just start rattling off about her
life when they’d just announced that her father had cancer? “There’s not much
to tell. What about cancer?”
Koh leaned back and
considered her. Anyone who knew them would have known she had picked up this
trait from him. This time he spoke slowly so she’d be sure to catch his words.
She translated it something close to, “you chose to forsake your father so why
the concern?”
She stood up nearly
outraged. He wasn’t jostled a bit by her anger. “That’s not fair!”
He rose up to meet
her stance. He began to speak to her, she cut him off.
“English,” she
demanded. She was too angry to try and translate.
He didn’t comply. She
came up with, “you speak of fairness, Kadey? What did we all do to deserve your
treatment? You abandoned us all without a look back. You scraped us from your
life. Now you speak of fairness.”
She stumbled
backward. It took everything she had to fight off the tears.
Cholena spoke his
full name quietly but firmly.
Kadey couldn’t speak.
Koh looked at his
wife. After a long moment he turned to Kadey. “Enough for tonight. Go and tend
to the wild one.”
She slid to a stop in
front of the arena, dust and gravel flying in all directions. She slammed the
palm of her hand against the wheel, which had the un-everlasting effect of
making her hand sting but changing the world not at all. She grabbed the wheel
in both hands and rested her forehead across the top. What she really wanted to
do was drive to town and get rip roaring drunk. That just wasn’t her style.
“It’s never too late to start,” she grumbled. Maybe she’d take a nice drive
afterwards and she wouldn’t have to worry about anything ever again. “Okay,
stop it.” She was being counter productive and stupid. She couldn’t go anywhere
anyway. She had to take care of the “wild one”.
She got out of the
car and slammed the door behind her. Poor car, it had been nothing but nice to
her. She studied the arena. At the far end were some stables attaching to the
arena area. She noticed that the gates were opened so she didn’t have to take
the hay down to that end. She could see the outline of the horse through the
fencing but couldn’t make out much else. She took the fork and threw a section
between the poles. “Foods here,” she called out. The animal didn’t respond. She
stuck the fork in the ground. “What? You don’t approve of me either?”
She grabbed the top
pole with both hands and shook it with a cry. Her body shook more than the
pole. She put her head down between her arms. Emotions began flooding her. The
past hour, the past week, eight years ago all came crashing up against her. She
had dammed them up for so long that she hadn’t the power to keep them back.
“No,” she pleaded. It came out in a weak whisper. As emotions washed over her
she didn’t just cry. She didn’t just weep. Every ounce of her energy focused
itself on a full fledged sob. Her body rocked and surged from the force of it.
Her legs weakened and she turned to lean against the post, and then slid down
to the ground. She wrapped her arm around the bottom pole but her sobbing
continued to rock her back and fourth. She had no comprehension of how long she
sat there. She’s sobbed long enough that she could no longer breathe through
her nose. She began to pull herself up. Just when she thought she had no more
tears to cry a second wave hit her. She thudded back to the ground.
It was never going to
end. Her father, Travis and Ms May would get back from the sale in three days
and she’d still be attached to this fence bawling her eyes out. Fine, fine just
bawl for all I care! She gave in then and instead of just sitting there
helpless to stop it, she joined in and gave it her all. “Why?” she choked out
between sobs. Soon she wouldn’t be able to breath. She twisted to look at the
darkening sky. The arena lights would click on soon. “Why? What’d I do to you?”
she demanded from the sky. She had never asked the question before. She’d
refused to talk to Him. She wouldn’t
give Him the satisfaction. He’d let
her life fall through the cracks. She’d rebelled against the God of her father
when he’d allowed her to be taken from her home. It shouldn’t have surprised
her that he hadn’t fought for her either. He’d let her go just as easily as her
own father had.
Her chest began to
heave as hyperventilation took her over. She turned over and crouched on all
fours and tried to catch her breath. She was beginning to feel light headed.
Was she going to pass out? Just when her eyes were glazing over something
struck her shoulder. She jumped back quickly and caught her head on the fence
post. She reached up to rub the spot that now throbbed. As her eyes rose to see
what had touched her, Kadey became captivated by two large brown eyes. Her sobs
gave way to stunned silence. She drew herself up to her feet. The two eyes rose
with her. She had no idea how long she stood staring into those eyes. Long
enough that she could breathe through her nose again, well one side better than
the other. She sniffed hard to clear up the passages.
Tilting her head she
looked down the rest of the horse. Was she looking at a ghost? No. The markings
were almost identical but the color was slightly different as was the overall
shape. He was definitely a buckskin but there was something else mixed in, a
definite, specific something. There was little question who had sired this
horse. “But who was your mamma?” She reached her hand out but stopped short of
his muzzle. He hesitated but then lifted his nose and placed it into her hand.
She stepped closer and blew lightly at his nose. Once introductions were done
she began to move her strokes higher up his muzzle to his ears and down his
neck. He swung his head and stepped back. He swung it again. He seemed to be
gesturing for her to come over the fence.
She smiled at him but
made no move to follow. “Sorry buddy but my dad would kill me if I climbed in
with a horse I’d just met. He didn’t raise me to be that kind of girl.”
The horse bobbed his
head as if laughing at her rather pathetic joke. “Placating me, are you.” She
leaned into the fence. “Come here.”
He stepped up to her
and they stared again into each other’s eyes. She placed her right hand fingers
on his muzzle and her left on the fence. She could hear his song. It had been
so long, but she could hear his song. She began to move her fingers over his skin
and the fence as though they were parts of a key board. “You’re a little bit
country a whole lot of rock and roll, aren’t you?” He was a wild one. “Wild
one… you must be Travis’ nightmare horse. Kojak?”
The horse flipped his
head back and forth in an irritated manner. “No, I agree. That’s not right.”
She strolled the tips of her fingers down his nose. There was so much
intelligence in his eyes. “Dixon, your name is Dixon.”
His head rotated to
the side and his eyes widened a brief second. He looked at her as though he was
shocked that someone had finally gotten it. He stepped closer so she could
touch him easier. She ran her hand down his neck. She began to lean into him
and he stepped up so she could put her weight onto him. She wrapped her arm
around his neck and snuggled in. He put his head down behind her back so it
felt as though her were actually hugging her. It felt good to held, even if it
was by a horse.
She would have stayed
that way all night. Before she knew it she was drifting off. She began dropping.
Dixon pressed her up against the fence as she slipped down. She shook her head.
“Oh wow. I fell asleep. She rotated her head so she could see his face. “I
guess I should go.” Stepping back she patted his muzzle. “Thanks.” She reached
over and kissed his cheek.
She didn’t bother to
locate her night gown. She just peeled off her clothes and fell into bed in her
undergarments. She fell asleep the instant she pulled the covers up over her
shoulders. It was the first peaceful, dreamless sleep she’d had in a long time.
Chapter
5
The next morning she
continued with her chores. Though she was a bit faster than normal and not
quite as perfect as she had the day before. It was still better than her father
usually did. She made it over to the arena in good time. Dixon stood out in the
middle. “Good morning!” she called out to him.
To her surprise he
turned the other way as if ignoring her. Then to assert his action he walked
away into the stable area. “Okay,” she said slowly. “Wow. I guess it was just a
one night thing.” She made a disgusted noise. “Glad now that I didn’t get in to
the corral with you.” She remembered then Travis’ assertion that the animal was
fickle. She studied his form from afar. “Just can’t let anyone too close, can
you.” She thought it over. “Ah, but you messed up. I know there’s a sweetheart
in their somewhere. Now I’m not going to give up till I find him again.” She
wondered what made him so anti-social. Was he this way from a foal or had
something happened to him? She knew that he would not have been mistreated on
this ranch but that didn’t mean there hadn’t been an accident that left him
traumatized or some such thing.
“Now what?” She was
determined to reach him again but she wasn’t so willing to break down
hysterically to do it. So what would get through to him? She closed her eyes in
thought. Her ears perked up. Several different birds were singing their songs.
The wind was racing through the trees. She began to sway to the symphony. She
began adding notes of her own. She tipped her head back and let the sunlight
warm her face. Arms outstretched and fingers playing her music, she twirled
around in a circle. She opened her eyes. Music. Maybe that was the answer. He
had responded to her emotions. She was never more emotional than when she was
pouring herself out into a piece of music or a song.
Kadey decided to take
a quick trip into town. She didn’t really need anything but it sounded like a
good idea. It dawned on her before she was even off the property that she’d
just wanted the music. The car was about the only place she ever listened to
it. Music had always been a part of her life before and after. Still she hadn’t
gotten lost in the music anymore. It washed over her. She was so lost in it in
fact that she wasn’t real sure how she’d gotten to town. The car must have
driven itself. That probably wasn’t a good thing. She got out at the mercantile
and started to peruse the merchandise. The grocery section gave her an idea.
She bought a bushel of carrots, a bushel of apples and a box of sugar cubes.
She was not above bribery one bit.
While she was there
she ought to get a few more outfits. It didn’t take long to ruin clothing on a
ranch. She picked up another pair of jeans and a couple of shirts. She stopped
at the hats and looked them over. She needed to get one of her own. Nothing
caught her attention. Well, one did but not so much for her. She picked it up
and looked it over. It wouldn’t look good on her at all. It was a bit to
masculine. She held it back. It would look mighty fine on her dad though. She
tried it on. It was a bit tighter than his which meant it would probably fit
perfect once it was broken in. She mulled the idea a bit. It was worth a try.
It’d look better on him than his other one.
She caught herself
smirking in the mirror. It was amusing that she was vying for a twenty year old
hat. She couldn’t help it. She’d wanted that hat for as long as she could
remember. If she played her cards right it could be hers. Kadey took off the
hat and took a last look. She’d do it. After paying for her acquisitions she
loaded her car up and headed out. Just before turning off main street she
pulled over. Something in the window of a store caught her attention…again.
They’d moved the
keyboard from the inside display to the window display. She stood on the
sidewalk and contemplated the buy. She already had the software. She could use
her laptop outside to record the music then transfer it to the tower in the
house and add the other beats.
She didn’t have a
monitor.
But her dad did and
she’d yet to see him on his own computer. She could just use it when she needed
and hook it back up to his when she wasn’t.
“You look close,” a
voice came from beside her.
She jumped slightly.
“Mr. Stein, hello.” She hadn’t heard him approach. “Close?”
“You look like you’re
talking yourself into a purchase.”
She grinned. “Yeah. I
probably shouldn’t.”
“Why not?”
She contemplated him.
He was her lawyer, he knew she was going through a divorce and would come out
the other side broke. “Well I do have a little savings and money left over from
the car. Still, I’m starting all over and that’s not cheap.”
It was his turn to
contemplate her. Did she really not know? He guessed not. She’d made a lot of
misassumptions about the past. Add that to the fact she never really had known
much about it in the first place and she probably really didn’t know. “Go ahead
and get it, Kadey. It will do you good.” He smiled warmly at her. “I know I’d
love to hear you play again.”
She blushed slightly.
“I wouldn’t be so sure. It’s been a long time.”
“Don’t tell me you
haven’t played for eight years.”
“Three.”
“Why three?”
She laughed
ironically. “That’s when I met my husband.”
“Oh,” he said grimly.
“Speaking of which.”
“Yeah?” she asked
with a little dread.
“Nothing much now but
I did retain a more specialized lawyer and paperwork has been filed. Everything
is progressing well.”
“What’s the look
for?”
He smiled. She could
read people as well as her father. “He’s referenced you as to having brought
nothing into the marriage. He’s definitely trying to get away with everything.”
He paused, “they’re definitely painting you as a bit of a gold digger.”
Kadey half snorted.
“He didn’t have a dime when I met him.”
Cleve was clearly
surprised. “What about his family wealth?”
“Oh he got cut off
for being a bucket full of idiot.” She laughed at the look she’d earned. “His
father was tired of his playboy ways. He’d flunked out of school more years
than I went. Money wasn’t a responsibility, it was a toy. Mr. Kiten had enough.
Then I stepped in. I cut his play days in half, got him interested in college,
serious about life. By the time we got married he was a fine young man,” she emphasized the last with a deep southern
accent. “His wedding present was reinstatement to the family.”
“Oh, wow.” Cleve was
constantly finding himself with the desire to smack the young man. He looked
around. They probably shouldn’t be speaking about this on the street. He was
just so used to the casualness of a small town he hadn’t thought. Luckily no
one was nearby. “That’s good to know. I must say your paperwork has been most
helpful, everything down to the birthday card that came with your car.”
“Yeah, I keep just
about everything.”
“Smart.”
“I guess.” She gnawed
on her lip.
“Something up?”
“Look, I know that
you might not think I deserve an answer to this either, but I have to ask.”
“What?”
She hesitated on a
few steadying breaths. “I found out last night about,” she paused. If she
wanted an answer she’d best not call him Dan, “dad’s cancer. When I inquired
further I was read the riot act so I never got any answers…” she trailed off
hoping he’d give her a break.
Cleve was thoughtful.
She hadn’t heard the news from Ms May or her father. They would have been gone
already. Koh, that was who. He could just imagine how fun that exchange had
been. The man was abrupt. He couldn’t leave the girl wondering. That wasn’t
right but she should ask her father. What a mess. “He did have it, yes. They
operated and did chemo. He gets regular check ups for it and all have come back
clean. There is a possibility that he could get it again but at the same time
they see no reason that it will. If you want more then that ask your father.”
She sighed with
obvious relief. “Thank you.”
It was obvious she
loved her father. Why couldn’t she give him another chance? He wanted to say
something but he knew he shouldn’t. The last thing her wanted to do was make it
worse. He’d help where he could. “Get the keyboard, Kadey.” He flashed her a
warm smile. “I’ll call you if and when I know more.”
“Thank you.” She looked
at the keyboard. “Best obey the man.”
She pulled a heavy
work bench up near the fence, just out of reach of a certain long neck. She’d
had to find an extension cord for her laptop and the keyboard but she managed
to get it set up. She was on the other side of the arena setting up when a
pickup pulled up. “At least he didn’t honk three times,” she mumbled under her
breath. She stopped where she was and waited for him to speak. She wasn’t ready
to hash anything out so she just waited to see what he wanted.
“You’ve taken care of
the wild one.”
Why was it that when
he was being self righteous that he sounded more “Indian”? Usually when he
ranch talked you wouldn’t even know. “Dixon, his name is Dixon.”
Koh looked over at
the horse that was busy ignoring their existence. He nodded. “I knew the two of
you would hear one another.”
Great. She’d been set
up. Of course she had. He wouldn’t have just not taken care of one horse on his
rounds. He purposely left out Dixon so she would have to see to him. She couldn’t
say she was sorry he had done so but she wasn’t overly pleased at being
manipulated. She just stood in silence.
He searched her face.
Koh was not easily daunted and had no problem with someone being angry with
him, especially if it was for their own good he angered them. “This is good.”
Again she didn’t
respond.
He smiled. “Be mad,
Kadey. It’s good to get it out but only for a short while. We will see you
tomorrow night for the meal.”
She’d wanted to give
a very vehement no but held it in. Kadey sighed and shook her head. It would do
no good. “Fine.”
He gave her an
exiting nod and was off.
She grumbled all the
way to the jump box to turn the power on to the cord. Then she grumbled all the
way back to the work bench where her music was waiting. She plugged her
keyboard into the laptop and started the recording. Then instead of resuming
her angry grumbling, she played it instead. The music filled her head and she
let it all go, the frustration, anger, pain, it was all at her fingertips. When
she’d finished she looked around. She’d had her eyes closed so when she opened
them she’d expected some type of response. There was none. It dawned on her
then that she hadn’t hooked up the speakers. She’d heard the music so fully in
her head that she hadn’t realized it wasn’t filling her ears.
She hooked up the
speakers. She turned them loud enough to carry a ways but not blasting. Then
she’d played the same tune again from memory. The notes filled the air. It was
much more soft sounding than one might have thought considering her mood. It heightened
to moments of “rock” like sounds but it also dipped into moments of gentleness
that pulled at the heart. As she listened to the notes while she played them
she thought it was a bit too diversified. There were too many emotions butting
in for their turn to be heard, too many ups and downs. She’d do better to fix
on a few at a time but this was how she felt now. This was her current song.
This time when she
had finished she’d gotten her reaction. Dixon had not come up to the fence but
he had emerged from the shelter. He was watching her in what she imagined was
awe. She’d doubted he’d ever heard much more music than the radio just before
the engine cut out on the truck. “So, any good?”
He took a short step
forward.
“I’ll take that as a
maybe.” She fished up a large carrot and swayed it up and down. “Would you like
a bribe?” His head mimicked her motion. She wondered if he would naturally
follow signals. “Here you go.”
He took the carrot
greedily. She heard a whinny behind her. “Where’d you all come from?” Five
horses stood at the fence of the pasture behind her. “Did you like it?” She
received another whinny. “You’re just saying that because you want a carrot
too.” She grabbed five carrots and gave them each one.
When she turned back
around it was clear that someone had not liked her sharing. “Oh come on. Don’t
be like that.” She walked back up to the arena. “Come on I have something just
for you.” He reluctantly returned to the fence. She pulled a sugar cube from
her front pocket and held it out to him just out of his current reach. He eyed
her suspiciously then took the step forward and put his lips around the sugar.
She was sure it was his first taste. “So?”
Kadey laughed. “Oh
yeah, you like it.” She went back to the keyboard. “Do you want to hear your
song?”
He waggled his head.
It wasn’t a clear answer but she’d take it as a yes anyway. “Good. This will
sound better after I add more beat. You’re not just a keyboard kind of guy. We
need some guitar and drums in there too but it will give you an idea.” She
stretched out her fingers then set them to the keys. This time she didn’t close
her eyes. She kept her eyes on him. As she began to play he began to react.
Dixon swung his head back and forth; side stepped, and then just began moving.
Most people, had they been there might have disagreed but to Kadey it was
simple. He was dancing. With each movement he made she matched and played the
next. He played his song to her and she played it to the world. At one point he
ran around the arena, rushed the fence, stopped short, then reared and jumped a
few steps back. He galloped back to her and resumed his steps. She took it all
in and let it all out.
When they’d finished
she felt invigorated. “That was awesome.” They’d had a good beat going. He
really was a little country and a whole lot of rock and roll. She stepped up to
him and held her hand up. He put his muzzle into her hand and she stroked it.
“You and I are going to get along just fine.”
She’d worked with him
the rest of the day. She’d forgotten to eat but had munched on an apple that a
certain someone ripped out of her hand and finished. “Someone needs some
manners.” She’d gotten into the corral and walked with him by the end of the
day. It was probably still too early for her father’s liking but she just
didn’t believe that Dixon would hurt her. She put a halter on him and they
walked around the arena. She’d talked or sang to him the entire time. He’d kept
his ears fixed towards her. She’d ask him a question and he’d shake or nod his
head in answer. He did respond naturally to indicators.
She told him about
the day before, then about the break up, and then what had happened eight years
ago. He’d listened intently and it felt good. He assured her that she wasn’t
being silly or over emotional. When the night time lights kicked on she stopped
walking and turned to him. “It’s that time again.” She played her fingers over
his nose. “Thanks for the ears.” She took off the halter.
Kadey ran the flat of
her hand up his muzzle into his mane. She scratched behind his ears. “Tomorrow
then.”
Tomorrow was little
different. He didn’t retreat into the shelter but when she spoke to him he
turned his ears away from her. “You really know how to insult a girl.” She
shook her head. “This is ridiculous.” She was more prone to understanding
Travis’ frustration and determination with this horse. He taunted you. Whatever
leeway you previously made the day before he made sure you knew was fruitless
the next.
So what next? She
wasn’t up for this fight. She hadn’t slept as well last night. She’d been
haunted by memories yet again. “One step forward, two jumps back.” That’s what
her life felt like. It was no different with this horse. What do you want? She was surprised at the question. What did she
want? To feel free again, to sway in the music. “I want to dance. I just want
to dance.” Then dance. She set up her
laptop again but didn’t take the cover off her keyboard. Instead she brought up
itunes and set up a playlist of songs. Once chosen she turned on the speakers
and hit play. She jumped into the corral. The music took long enough to start
that she was able to walk right past Dixon as though he wasn’t there. Two could
play that game. When the music started she closed her eyes and began to dance.
She was just an odd
obstacle at first but soon the horse could no longer stand it. She heard his
feet shuffle and opened her eyes. She was sure his eyes sparkled. She began to
run and he chased her. She twirled and darted as she went and he played along.
By the time the playlist was over she was exhausted. She slumped to the ground
to catch her breath. Dixon lowered his head to her and she stroked his jaw.
“Would it be so bad to give your heart to me?” she asked. She didn’t give him
the indicator of how to answer. This was a decision he had to make himself.
The rest of the
afternoon she put on a halter and ran him through normal exercises, singing to
him as they went along. As she ran him through his paces she noticed that his
speed depended on her song. When she sang a slower song he slowed down. The
faster her song the faster he went. They were in tune with each other
completely, at least for that afternoon.
They had to stop
early so she could get ready for supper with Koh and Cholena. She was dreading
it but something told her it would be okay. She’d had a good day, maybe it
would stay that way. She knocked lightly on the door and was instructed to go
on in. Koh wasn’t there yet so she sat in the kitchen with Cholena. They kept
conversation light and positive. By the time Koh came in Kadey had forgotten
she was perturbed with him. She completely forgot not to smile at him. It
wasn’t until he gave her a smart smile back that she remembered. She let it go.
She’d ignore his smug, I knew you’d forgive me smile and just enjoy the night.
That night was much
more how she had expected the first night to go. They left the past in the
past. He prompted her about the wild one and she chattered on for the first
time since she’d stepped foot on the ranch. Neither Koh nor Cholena could
contain their smiles at her enthusiasm. It was very encouraging. Koh laughed
many times at her tactics but was not surprised that they worked. She’d always
known how to speak to the world around her, she’d just forgotten. Together the
two of them would find a way to help heal the other’s broken heart. It was a
very good first step.
Dan was getting to
old for this trip, he decided grimly. He was much too old to drive with two
opinionated people riding along with him. He was at that alone age; the age
where no one was bickering back and forth each mile of the way. It wasn’t so
much the conversation. They usually had interesting topics. It was where they
ended up, at an impasse of disagreement and irritation. He would chime in
himself from time to time, especially on the religious topics. Travis wasn’t an
outright atheist but he was a close second. So Dan felt it was part of his
responsibility to reign in Ms May when her temper started getting the best of
her during a God debate. He let her go all out on other subjects. Travis was a
master button pusher and he had Ms May pegged perfectly. She didn’t even know
what had happened until she noticed that grin on his face.
Then she’d call him a
name, anything ranging from scallywag to ornery heathenistic pain in her
backside and then would hit him upside the head. It usually caused Dan to laugh
but it got old after a good many miles. It didn’t help that the closer they got
to home the more fidgety he got. Ms May had talked with Kadey not long ago but
Dan had secretly shared Ms May’s fear that Kadey would not be there when they
got home. Rationally he knew she’d keep her word but the closer they got the
more irrational he became.
“Take it easy, boss.
She’ll be there,” Travis flashed a grin.
Dan didn’t enjoy the
boy being able to read him so well. Usually he wasn’t readable and for whatever
reason he took some pleasure in that. When it came to Kadey he was apparently
an open book. And since it was the first time the boy could read him, he
enjoyed pointing out the fact that he could.
“You think she’ll see
us coming and hop in her car and zoom off to who knows where?”
Dan gave him a very
un-amused look. “Would you like to walk the rest of the way?”
“No sir,” his grin
widened.
“I’ll just drop you
off at the arena. I know you’ve missed your friend.”
The mention of the
horse wiped the grin off his face. He mumbled something incoherent. Travis
looked up. “Speaking of which. What is wrong with him?”
They were nearing the
arena now and could make out the buckskin. He was dancing around like a mad
horse, kicking and wiggling like crazy. “Good question.” Dan had never seen the
animal act like that. He slowed down to watch. The next moment nearly caused
his heart to stop.
The horse reared up
and there next to him stood Kadey.
“Is that girl mad?!”
Travis yelled.
Dan stomped on the
gas peddle. He barely got the truck to stop before he threw it in park and he
and Travis were out and running toward the fence. Dixon stood face to face with
Kadey his hooves just inches from her face as he reared and threw his fit. She
didn’t back down or budge a bit. She showed no fear and stood quiet as the
horse raged.
“Get out of there!”
Travis yelled as he began to climb the fence.
Dixon dropped down
and rushed the fence. Travis fell backward and hit the ground. It wasn’t till
just then that Dan noticed the horse was saddled and haltered.
“Hey!” Kadey had
finally reacted. She grabbed the halter and pulled the horse round to her.
“Whoa! That is no way to act.” She forced the horse to look at her. “You be
nice.” She looked at Travis. “You okay?”
He couldn’t respond.
His mouth hung open in utter shock.
“You’ll live.” She
turned back to the horse. “You should apologize.” She gave him the indicator
they had worked on. Dixon hesitated as though he had an idea of what she was
really asking of him, but he complied. His right leg stretched out and his head
bowed down slightly. “Good, that’s better.” She patted him on the neck then
walked back to where she had stood before. Dixon waited till her back was turn
then snorted towards Travis. He looked at Dan but without care of him turned
and followed Kadey. “Okay, you can resume your hissy fit if it pleases you.”
The horse snorted again.
She looked over at
Dan. “You okay? You look a little green.”
“Caaah, I… fine. I’m
fine.” He shook his head and leaned against the fence. He shouldn’t be
surprised. Travis had wanted to know why he’d kept this horse, well there was
the reason. That horse wasn’t his daddy’s identical but he was close. It wasn’t
just in the physical appearance. There was something in his eyes, an
intelligence and personality. The first time Dan laid eyes on him he’d known he
belonged to Kadey. He’d been born for that very reason.
Ms May watched in
silence. She showed no indication that she’d been concerned in the least. Kadey
walked back over and leaned over the fence. “Welcome back,” she planted a quick
peck on the woman’s cheek. “Did you have a good time?”
Ms May nodded. “I did
indeed.”
“Told you, you should
go.”
“Don’t get prideful.”
“Not me, never.” She
flashed the woman a genuine grin, another first since stepping foot onto the
ranch.
Travis finally stood
and brushed himself off. “How?” he asked stunned. “Are you some kind of horse
whisperer?”
She laughed. “I
wouldn’t say that.”
“Then how?”
“Well,” she acted
thoughtful, “a bit of bribery.” She took out a sugar cube. “He’s a total
addict.”
Dan laughed.
“That can’t be all.”
“It isn’t.”
“Then?” he demanded.
“Well, I used the same trick
women have been using on males since the fall of man.”
Travis looked bemused. “What’s
that?”
Dan laughed. “Emotional
blackmail,” he joked.
Kadey nodded in agreement.
“Exactly.”
A confused look crossed both
men’s faces. They looked at one another. Dan just shrugged.
Kadey sighed. “We
almost have to start over every day. He is a stubborn one.” She nodded towards
Travis. “I finally get your pain,” she teased. “Today’s the first with the
saddle. He’s been throwing a hissy fit for twenty minutes.”
Dan shifted his
weight against the fence. “He’s been throwing kicks at your face for twenty
minutes?” his voice was quiet with a slight edge to it.
Kadey cleared her
throat. “Well, a um, yeah but he wouldn’t hurt me.”
Dan nodded, clearly
unhappy. “Oh of course not. At least tell me you had the sense not to just jump
right in with him the minute you laid eyes on him.”
“Of course I didn’t,”
she defended herself. She turned to Dixon, “see, I told you he wouldn’t let
me.”
Dan shook his head
trying not to be amused.
“I don’t get this at
all. That horse is the devil. Seriously, I named him Kojak for a reason.”
“Which was your first
wrong step. Would you be friendly towards someone who kept calling you by the
wrong name? Even Koh knew you’d named him wrong.”
“Oh really, so what’s
his name?”
“Dixon.”
“Dixon,” he repeated
sardonically. He was rather surprised when the horses head turned towards him.
If horses can give dirty looks, he did. “Okay, so maybe it is Dixon.” The
horse’s head turned again. “You are a horse whisperer.”
Kadey shrugged. “I
could just hear his song.”
Dan and Ms May both
perked up at that statement. They exchanged glances but said nothing.
“His song?”
Kadey turned to
Travis. She’d forgotten again that not everyone could hear music all around
them. “Nothing, just music in my head.”
“Is that anything
like voices in your head?” he countered.
Kadey smiled and
nodded. “Yeah, kind of.”
He hadn’t expected
her to agree. He had to admit it wasn’t always easy getting this one riled.
The rest of the week
and well into the next fell into a strict routine. Kadey would get up and do her
chores then spend the rest of the morning with that horse. Then she’d have
dinner and spend the rest of the afternoon with that horse. Then she’d have
supper and spend the rest of the evening with that horse. Dan couldn’t believe
his life had boiled down to him being jealous of a horse. She hadn’t mounted
him yet. Neither trusted the other enough to do so. They weren’t there yet but
in the meantime they were developing a strong bond, one that Dan was sure once
formed would not be undone. He wasted a good portion of his day just watching
the two of them together. He tried not to feel too guilty about it, he was
after all semi-retired, forcibly so. It wouldn’t be so bad if Travis didn’t
jump all over him about it with that knowing look and smart-alecky comments.
This was becoming
ridiculous. It was already far past. They needed to talk but it never felt
right or was it cowardice talking? At times he was simply happy to have her
back in his life but more often than not it just wasn’t enough. He wanted his baby
back. Lord, how long? She couldn’t be
back just to lose her again, could she? She was biding her time until the
divorce was final. He’d thought about paying Cleve double if he’d take longer
to get it all done. It was just a fleeting thought and something he’d never
really do. It looked like he didn’t have to anyway; Kadey’s ex seemed to be
causing it to take longer anyway. Dan didn’t butt in but he’d gathered that
much. What happens if that divorce goes through and nothing has changed? She’d
leave. Would she be gone forever then? She might visit on behalf of the others
but something told him it would be over for him. He couldn’t let that happen.
He started over in
that direction. She was outside the arena with her arms folded on the top pole
and her head resting there. He’d noticed she’d pulled the table over. That
night they’d come home she’d had her computer and a keyboard on it, but the
keyboard had not resurfaced since. Had she played? What he would give to hear
her again. He’d been so proud of her, for many reasons but she played like an
angel. Everyone always said she had a God given talent. It sure didn’t come
from him. He could carry a note well enough to sing in church but that was
pushing it.
“You two fighting
again?”
She didn’t raise her
head but turned slightly so she could see him. “No. I’m just watching him. Just
looking at him.”
He was a fine looking
horse, Dan noted.
“Who is his mamma? Do
you own her?” She asked.
Dan leaned up against
the fence next to her. “Yeah, I own her. She’s down at the red ranch.”
“The red ranch.” That
was a surprise. The red ranch housed the money makers. Her father had a name
for breeding the finest horses and that’s where they all resided. He
specialized in several different breeds, in all different fields. His heart
however was with the Mustang and oddly enough the Australian Brumbies. He loved the wild heritage of both.
As a result of this
love she had watch the move The Man from Snowy River more times than any
other movie ever made. They were both in love with that mountain horse. That
movie was also chiefly responsible for giving her the impression that it was
natural to hear music in everything. The scene where they chase the horses was
her life. She heard life like that, the music changing with the scenery. That
movie had quite the impact. The first written music she’d ever learned to play
was Jessica’s Theme Song from that movie. Her family had let her go on
believing that life was just one big musical. It wasn’t until she was talking
with a boy from school that she found out she was wrong. It was also the first
time anyone had looked at her like she was a freak. She’d ran home and asked
her dad if it was true and he’d finally come clean about it.
“I knew she was no
buckskin but the red farm?”
He shrugged.
“What is she?”
“Arabian.”
She scoffed. “What?
Why would you breed him with an Arabian? I mean Juxton was a great horse and
the two would make fine offspring but they wouldn’t sell. Arabian’s are coveted
as pure.” It did dawn on her that her father was wholly aware of this. “So
why?”
He shrugged again.
“Just a whim.”
“A whim? You’d have
had to bus her up here or him down there. There’s got to be more of a reason
than that.”
He gave her a
sideways glance then stared back at the horse. “Curiosity, I guess. Juxton sired
a lot of what some would consider an underclass of horses. Thought I’d give him
a shot at the higher class and see what we could get.”
“Okay, that is an
interesting experiment but still,” she paused thoughtfully. “Seems like there’d
be more to it.”
He studied her. She
wasn’t letting go of it, just pausing. He sighed. “I knew Juxton was reaching
the end of his stud days and his days in general. I’d taken a look at her and
there was something there in her eyes that made me think of him. Knowing it was
probably the last foal he’d sire I wanted it to be a special one so I made it
happen.”
She considered his
words. He did it for her. He’d known that if she came home she’d either come
home to an aged and dying horse that she loved or to one already passed. He
wanted to have something here for her, something special. He knew he’d never
replace Juxton but he wanted to have a special animal, somewhat unique, for her
to give her heart to. She wasn’t sure how to feel about that. She stored it
down deep to consider later.
“So what’s with the
attitude?” she tipped her head at the horse.
“Ah yes, our wild
one.” He put his foot up on the bottom pole and turned slightly. “Well that was
from a mishap that no one is sure how happened.”
“Which was?”
“Well, I hadn’t
delegated the ranches separately yet. Then I got taken out of the game for a
while and no one really knew what to do while I was gone,” he started. He was
just going to continue but he saw he eyes flash and grow darker as though
angry. He realized then that she knew. She knew what had taken him out of the
game and she wasn’t real pleased with him. Was she mad he hadn’t told her? When
was he to have dropped that bit of information? A time had never presented
itself. He let it go and continued. If she wanted to talk about it with him she
could bring it up. “They did the best they could and they did well but
something happened and we’re not sure when or how, but Amira got free. She took
the chance and ran off down to the bottom range where it just happened no one really
had reason to go. She was still on our property but in a way you could say that
Dixon was born and raised in the wild.” He realized he was fidgeting a bit and
tried to settle down. This was the most the two of them had talked since she’d
gotten home. “Well the red ranch didn’t think about her because she was up here
and our end thought they’d bused her back there. It wasn’t until sometime
later, after I’d been home for a good while, that I asked about them. No one
could find her. They finally pinpointed the last they’d seen her and started
out searching. Dixon was a fine young man by the time they caught up to him.
When they finally got him back here, he was everything I imagined him to be.”
“He had the same look
in his eyes as his father. He had both of their attributes and beauty. He was
perfect. Travis started working on him and well, you know the rest from there.”
He watched his daughter as she listened to his story. She, like him, was keen
on the fact that Dixon was born wild. It was intrigue to them.
They stood in silence
for quite a while. “Kadey,” he said softly.
She instinctively
jumped away from him. “No,” she threw up her hands. “I don’t want to talk about
it.”
“Well, darlin, we’re
going to have to eventually,” he maintained.
“No. What’s done is
done.”
“That’d be fine and
dandy if we could move on from there but since we can’t we’re going to have to
deal with it.”
“It was your choice
you deal with it.”
“What do you want
from me, Kadey? I did what I thought was right. What did you expect from me?”
“You know, dad, I might believe that if what you
had done had been anything!”
“What is that
supposed to mean?” He crossed his arms, shielding himself from her loathing.
“You didn’t fight for
me when it came to custody. Okay. Fine, if all of it was a custody issue where
were you when it wasn’t an issue anymore? What about when I turned eighteen?
Where were you then?”
“Waiting,” he argued
back. “Always waiting, Kadey.”
“Well that’s not good
enough.”
“You were a grown
up,” he added, “by law standards. What’d you expect from me?”
“I expected you to do
something, anything. Hog tie me, throw me in the truck and hold me captive till
I stopped acting like an idiot. I expected you to fight for me and you never
did. You didn’t fight mom for me and you didn’t fight me for me. Well guess
what, now it’s too late.”
“Kadey, I couldn’t
just step into your life like that.”
“Oh for God’s sake,
man, grow a backbone!”
Her back was pressed
to the fence before she knew what was happening. His right hand rested on the
fence and his left hand clamped down on her shoulder astonishingly close to her
neck. He towered over her and she was trapped. She had never been affected by
the intimidations that would make others back down from her father. She wasn’t
intimidated now. She was terrified. If she’d wanted to cause fervor in her
father she had succeeded. He wasn’t hurting her but the pole dug uncomfortably
into her back and his hand was more than firmly clasped. He just stood there
breathing heavily. She wasn’t sure what he was going to do. He looked as if he
wanted to hit her and for the first time in her life she wasn’t so sure that he
wouldn’t. His breathing had begun to slow to normal. He stepped back slightly.
Shaking his head, he released his hold. Then equally surprising, he kissed her
forehead then turned and left her without a word.
Dan walked around
the house and to the wood pile. He grabbed the axe vehemently and put a log
onto the chopping block. He brought the axe down with all his strength. The
metal hit a knot in the wood and the axe spun out of his hands. Ms May came
stomping out of the house. He wasn’t in the mood for her lecture.
“It’s alright!”
he barked.
She crossed her
arms and leaned back on her heals. He turned his attention to her and waited.
Once she was sure he was submissive she spoke. “Be mad all you want, Daniel,
but you will not lose control and get yourself hurt. You chop that wood
proper.”
He nodded.
“Sorry, ma’am.”
She nodded and
turned back into the house.
He pried the axe
from the wood and set it back on the block. He twisted it slightly so he’d miss
the knot. How had this happened to him? Where had he gone wrong? He’d been a
seventeen year old. That’s how he’d gone wrong. That’s where he took his first
wrong turn.
Dan had been seventeen
when he graduated. His only thought, he was free. He jumped all over it. He’d
loved his father’s ranch and having grown up on it but he was sure there was
more to life. He wanted to see how the other half lived. With his father’s
blessing he went out to find his way, for adventure and to sample the whole
world on a platter. That was the time he had met up with Koh. They’d hit it off
immediately. They’d roamed together for a while but split at the big city
limits. Koh had wanted adventure but he never equated adventure with city life
and Dan had. So Dan hit the fast lane.
He’d grown up in
a Christian family and loved the Lord. He’d had it in his mind that he was
strong and he’d be able to go out on the town, to sit with those scoffers and
not be affected by their lawlessness. He’d been an utter fool. He’d been
somewhat strong at first. He’d fallen on his face in slow slips, a little slip
here, and a little slip there. He’d hit the pavement nose first and found
himself with a pregnant girlfriend. They’d considered their options. Always
adamant that abortion was wrong he was horrified to find himself considering
it. When it had finally come down to it he couldn’t allow someone to scrape out
his child and throw it away. So he’d done the proper thing. He’d married her
and took her home. He’d screwed up his life; it was time to make the best of
it.
That was his new
motto. Each morning when he awoke he would lie on his back and think, “well
you’ve ruined your life, better get up and find a way to live with it.” He’d
tried not to take it out on his new bride. She was a city girl and the country
was not something she particularly coveted. He resorted to bribery to make her
happy and constantly bought her anything he could to please her. He didn’t
actually think much about the baby. It was just something he’d have to deal
with when it came.
That day had been
terrifying. Ms May had driven them to the hospital. Dan should have been in
there with his wife but he couldn’t manage it. He’d gowned up but when it came
time to go in, he froze. The nurse took pity on him and had him sit in the next
room to wait. Just before she’d left she said she’d bring the baby in to him.
He’d wanted to tell her no but she was already gone. He told himself to be a
man about this. He couldn’t blame the baby for his mistake. It wasn’t her fault
he’d ruined all their lives. He’d waited in fear for any noise that might
reveal what was happening. He nearly jumped when a squabbling wail filled the
air. Not long after the nurse brought in a small quivering bundle. He wanted to
refuse it but didn’t really see how he could. She’d shown him how to hold his
arms then put the very irate baby in his arms.
He guessed he
couldn’t blame her for being a bit peeved. That probably wasn’t the most fun
experience in life and if babies could feel fear at that point then how
terrifying would it be to be snatched out of your home and delivered into a big
scary world. She calmed a little and he started to look her over. She looked
like she’d gone through the ringer. Poor kid. Without any warning her little
hand shot out and grabbed his finger with noticeable force. She wasn’t about to
let go either. Her little face stiffened up as if to challenge him to just try
and take it from her. Had he the ability he would have stopped himself from
smiling at that moment but he was helpless. She literally held him captive.
Without consulting his wife he’d given the nurse her name right then. It was an
old family name not used for a good many years. He hadn’t intended on using it
but it had come to his mind in that moment and it just was. He couldn’t do
anything about it. That was her name. His little Kadey.
That next morning
he woke up and rolled on his back. Well, he thought, you’ve got a beautiful
baby girl and you need to get up and do the best you can and not screw up her
life too. That’s the way it went for quite a while. Delila had a “touch” of
post partum so he took the baby a good deal to try and give her time to deal
with whatever needed dealt with. Several months later the two of them went into
town. He decided he needed a new hat. He’d tried a few on but none really
suited him.
He liked one but
it was more of a skinny guy hat. Since he’d started working on the farm full
time he had started to buff up a bit. Finally. He’d always been a bit of a bean
pole. It was nice to have some muscle to round him out. He put the hat on. “So,
what do you think?” She had smiled and clapped. He chuckled and set the hat on
her head. She burst out with bubbling laughter. He pulled off the hat and she’d
reached for it. “You sure you like this one? Don’t you think this one’s better
for me?” He reached for a different one and put it on. Her face went stony in
two seconds flat. She threw herself backwards hard enough he’d almost lost her.
“Okay,” he said slowly. “The white one it is.” He set the hat back on. He was
rewarded with the most beautiful smile he’d ever seen. Then she’d thrown
herself forward and snuggled into his shoulder. He stared into the mirror at
her holding onto him, loving him.
From that day
forward he woke up in the morning and thanked God. He had messed up and could
have ruined his life. But God had straightened him out, got him back on the
path and blessed him with a beautiful baby girl. Thank you, Lord.
The axe came down
on yet another knot in yet another log. This time he had control and kept the
axe firmly in hand. They wouldn’t need to chop wood for a while. He looked up
to find Travis watching him. “Need something?” he asked a bit curtly.
Travis shrugged.
“Come on around front.”
Dan set the axe
back in its spot and followed the younger man around front. “What?”
“Listen.”
Dan was growing
impatient but he did as told. He turned toward the sound when he finally
registered the music. Kadey was playing. He closed his eyes and listened. She
was sad. He opened his eyes and looked at Travis. “I haven’t heard that in a
long time.”
“She’s good,”
Travis acknowledged. “She’s not so much a horse whisperer as a horse’s
musician.” He grinned.
That prompted a
smile from Dan. “I’ll go with that.”
“Well, since
we’re getting so much done today, I think I’ll head out.”
Dan nodded.
“That’d be fine.”
Travis studied
him for a while. “I tell you, Dan. I was feeling like my life was becoming a
bit too routine. Three years and I’ve loved it but where was the excitement.”
He shook his head. “Now there’s more drama going on around me then I know what
to do with. These really are the days of my life. That girl of yours sure does
make things interesting.”
“She always did.”
Travis nodded. “I
bet. You should talk about that more. I’d like to hear about the younger years.
These days would make a good soap. Course it does bother me a bit I’m not in a
leading role. Makes me have to step up to these “tender” moments to catch a few
female awes.”
“Travis, no one
is watching this soap opera.”
“Well, never
hurts to show the tender side once in a while, you know, just incase someone
catches the act. Now I think I’ll go hit the wild cattin side of me.” He shook
his head sorrowfully. “Just a mixed up guy with a heart of gold. Just needs
some good lovin from a good woman.”
“You’re a cad.”
“I do try. I’m
gonna say goodbye to Ms May and head out. See you tomorrow.”
Dan nodded
goodbye then slowly made his way to where he could watch Kadey. She’d stopped
playing and was in the arena. Dixon was snuggling up pretty close. Oh good lord
above, she’s getting on. He picked up speed. She mounted and leaned down to pat
his neck. Dan finally got it, emotional blackmail. That horse would do anything
to stop that girl from being sad. Had she been sad when she first saw him? Something
told him yes. He stepped up to the gate.
“You ready for
this?”
She looked up
surprised to hear his voice. She looked at the gate. He could see the sadness
in her eyes and all the anger he’d had from before dissipated. He’d find a way
to fix this if it killed him. If she tried to leave before then he’d just do as
she said before. He’d tie her up and toss that girl in the cellar till she came
to reason. That ought to please her.
“Yeah,” she
nodded. “We are.”
He wasn’t but he
unlatched the gate and pulled it open. He’d half expected Dixon to bolt for
freedom but he waited for her signal.
“Let’s go,” she
whispered into his ear and lightly healed him.
He started out
and she led him toward the pasture where she’d loved to ride as a child. Travis
jumped from his truck. “Are you crazy?” he asked Dan. “He’s liable to ride her
to the Mississippi before he slows up for a rest!”
Dan couldn’t
disagree. “I think she’d like that.”
He’d heard her
“yah” and they were off. Dan winced at the speed that horse possessed. Letting
his baby go was not an easy thing. He’d do it on a horse but he would not do it
in life. “Thought you were going on the prowl?”
Travis shook his
head disgusted. “Crazy people. I’m surrounded by crazy people.” With a huff he
turned back to the truck. “See you later.”
Dan walked to the
barn. Maybe he wasn’t even ready to let her go on a horse. He saddled his own
and headed up the ridge. It didn’t hurt to keep an eye on things.
Kadey forced
Dixon to keep eye contact with her. He’d already tried to bite Koh once and
she’d slapped away his mouth. Now he stared at her with ire in his eyes. He was
one mad pony. Koh finished off the last shoe and stepped away. “That should do
it.” He gathered his things and left to finish out his day.
“I’m not sure you
deserve this but it was part of the deal.” She pulled a sugar cube out and
offered it to Dixon.
Dixon looked at
the sugar cube then indignantly turned his back on her and walked away.
“You are such a baby.”
She would have laughed but it would have made him all the angrier. Grinning she
turned to her father. A movement behind him drew her attention and she froze.
A myriad of
emotions crossed Kadey’s face. Dan was confused at the sudden parade. He’d seen
shock, followed quickly by excitement, then so many different ones so quickly
he couldn’t decipher them. Now she stood looking almost haunted. She looked
unsure and not frightened but anxious. What was going on? He turned around to
see what she was looking at. His eyes rested on a sight he hadn’t expected.
A woman stood not
far behind him. She was casually dressed, long curly brown hair. She looked to
be in her mid thirties. She had a look on her face that struck him as familiar.
He’d seen it before. He’d caused it before. As a boy he’d lost track of time and
spent three and a half hours too long at the pool hall with his friends. He’d
just looked at the clock and headed for the door in a hurry when he spotted her,
his mom standing in the doorway looking at him just like that. It was the mom
look and it was strong. He looked at Kadey. That’s what his face must have
looked like that day. He didn’t know who this woman was but she was one mad
mamma. He inadvertently took a step back out of the line of fire.
She began walking
towards Kadey, her demeanor suggesting Kadey should meet her. Kadey matched her
steps but no more. She was having a hard time keeping eye contact. Dan had
never witnessed such a thing before. He thought Kadey would look a bear in the
face as it prepared to eat her alive. Apparently even the bravest of them was
just a big chicken deep down.
“You’re a hard
woman to find, Kadey.” She strolled the rest of the way as though it were a
casual meeting but her voice did not echo that sentiment, nor did her eyes. “I called
to let you know when I’d be home. Couldn’t get you. I called when I got home.
Couldn’t get you. Finally, I had to go to the condo.” She laughed scathingly.
“My oh my did I not like what I found there. So I called frantically for the
next few days. Nothing. I called everyone I could think of that you might know.
Nothing. I went and turned you in as a missing person out of shear
desperation.” She paused a moment for effect. “That might have worked if your
divorce papers hadn’t showed up. Could anyone tell me where you were, no but
you must be okay if you’re out filing papers.” She shook her head disgusted. “I
finally had to use my key and sneak into the condo which was mostly likely
against the law because you don’t technically live there anymore, and go
through all of the mail and anything I could find that might give me a clue. It
came down to this envelope, which I stole,” she pulled out an empty envelope,
“that is from a law firm out in the middle of who knows where. Since I knew
you’d filed for divorce I took a chance and without knowing where I was going
exactly or if you’d even be there when I got there, I took a little trip.
“I just spent the
morning doing my best to intimidate a man I found on the street when I didn’t
even know if he even knew you for sure. Once I realized he did, it was over.
Poor man didn’t have a chance at that point. Wide eyed and half frightened for
his life he just pointed and said she’s at her dad’s ranch and promptly gave me
directions. Now can you give me any reason, any reason at all, why I shouldn’t come
over that fence and…” she faltered. She took several deep breaths to steady
herself. She could not recall a moment in her life she’d been this angry,
frightened and relieved all at once. Calm down. Just switch focus for a moment.
She looked over at the man. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to be so impolite. I’m
Charlise”
He put his hands
up. “Dan, and its all fine by me.”
She could hear
the amusement in his voice.
She cocked her
head sideways at him and took a good look. She decided he wasn’t amused at her.
In fact she got a feeling he was rather supportive of her. She’d have to ask
him later what he was thinking.
He was
attractive.
Whoa, none of
that. Focus. Yet she found herself rather intrigued by him. She took notice of
his eyes. She knew those eyes. He must be Kadey’s father. It wasn’t a hard
match up. They shared a lot of physical features as well as others. They even
stood the same, probably had the same gait. She turned her attention back to
Kadey. “Anything?”
Dan had watched
his daughter shrink lower and lower. Her eyes were completely downcast by the
end of her rather deserved lecture. Kadey claimed to like people to fight for
her. She must love this. He sighed. He should leave them to it. He wanted to
know more about this woman but he’d have to wait for later. He wondered who she
had talked to. He was likely to get a good story next time he went into town. He
politely bowed out and left them to it.
Charlise stepped
up to the fence. Kadey was close enough to touch now. She reached out and
tipped the girls chin up. What she saw there near broke her heart. “Kadey,” she
stroked the girl’s cheek. She forced her to look into her face. “Kadey, do you
trust me?” After all the girl had been through trust was not going to be easy
for her. She’d been betrayed by her husband and a woman who claimed to be her
best friend. She’d felt betrayed by her father and failed by her mother.
Charlise stood before her as one of the last people in her life she had trusted
and now she didn’t know what to believe. She knew exactly what the girl was
doing. She’d done it herself. “Come over here.” She stepped back so Kadey could
step through the fence poles.
Once face to face
with nothing between them she continued. “This isn’t a trick question, baby
girl. I’m asking an out right question. You look inside and make a decision. Do
you trust me?”
Kadey closed her
eyes and gritted her teeth. She was broken. She couldn’t trust. It hurt too
much when trust came back broken and beaten to death. She didn’t trust anyone.
She opened her eyes and her royal blues unwillingly locked with two very
expressive copper browns. Copper brown eyes filled with compassion and love. Copper
brown eyes relieved to find her okay. Copper brown eyes that were both angry on
her account as well as on her behalf. She did the last thing her self
preservation wanted. She nodded and with a whimper cried out “yes”. She dove
into open arms and buried her face and wept.
Charlise held the
girl tightly. Tears slipped down her own face but she paid them no notice.
“It’s going to be okay, baby girl. It’s going to okay.”
They stood there
for a long while. It finally broke up when a nose pressed into Kadey’s back.
She pulled away and turned to the horse. “You are such a sucker for a girl in
tears,” she told him. He shoved his head into her arms.
“Whose your
friend?”
“This is Dixon.
We’ve been dating.”
Charlise walked
up to him and put her hand out. He nudged it and let her closer. She blew on
his nose.
“Where’d you
learn that?” Kadey asked.
“Saw it on a
movie.”
“Of course.”
“So what is he?”
A mischievous
grin spread over Kadey’s face.
“Do not answer “a
horse” you are not on safe ground yet.”
“He’s part
buckskin part Arabian.”
“I thought
buckskin was just a color.”
Kadey waggled her
head. “Depends who you speak to. There are definite characteristics that some
would claim separates them out as their own breed but it’s a swishy subject.”
“Swishy huh?” she
stroked the horse’s muzzle. “You don’t look swishy to me.” He gave her a horse
kiss.
“Don’t get too
used to this treatment. He’s a tease.” She was fairly certain he was trying to
make her jealous. On some odd level it was working. “He’ll be a sweetheart one
day and elusive the next.”
Charlise turned
her head pointedly and looked at Kadey. “Really,” she said with emphasis. “You
know I don’t believe in karma as a religion but…”
Kadey huffed.
“I’ve never treated you like that.”
“So I do have a
message on my answering machine that I just couldn’t get to play.”
Kadey’s eyes
saddened. “I didn’t mean to hurt you.”
Charlise reached
out and cupped the girl’s cheek in her hand. “I know. But you scared me, girl.”
“I am sorry.”
“Were you ever
going to call me?”
Kadey began to
fidget with her ring, twisting it back and forth. She took so long to answer
she expected to get chastised for it but Charlise just waited patiently. “I
think so. When it was over.”
“You went to her,
didn’t you? You went to her as a friend and that’s how you found out.”
Kadey nodded.
“I am so sorry,
Kadey. I wish I’d been there.” If she had Kadey would have come to her. Of
course then she wouldn’t have come here and something told her that Kadey
needed to be here. Kadey’s eyes had gone down cast again. She tipped her chin.
“Please let me be here now.”
Kadey smiled at
her best she could at the moment. Truth was even though she felt uncertain
about everything in her life, she was relieved. A weight had been lifted off
her shoulders. There were still plenty left to hold her down but it was nice to
have one moment of release. “I’m glad you’re here.”
“Good cause
you’re stuck with me.”
Her sad smile
morphed into a lighter one. “Thank you.”
“Yeah well,
you’re still in the dog house.”
“For how long?”
She shrugged.
“Just have to play it by ear.”
Kadey laughed.
“Okay.”
She noticed the
time. “Ought oh, we’re late to supper. We’re not going to start out on the
right foot with Ms May.”
“I’ve already met
Ms May and I believe our feet are just fine.”
“Okay,” she said
slowly, “explicate please.”
“I knocked on the
door and asked to see you. She gave me a very strict look-over and asked me
why. I simply said that I was here to beat you senseless and then when I was
done with that I’d start beating some sense into you. She pointed out here and
said she’s in the arena.”
“Traitors.”
“Ha. It’s not
traitorous when it’s for your own good.”
She really would
be in the dog house for a while. “Come on. We’ll have formal intros and some good
food.”
Chapter
6
Charlise studied
the back of the girl as she followed her to the house. Now that she could see
for herself that she was safe and okay, Charlise was able to breath freely
again. Lord you know how scared I was.
Thank you for watching over her. Thank you for not taking her from me. Thank
you…She stopped in her tracks. She’d been so focused on finding Kadey that
she hadn’t had time to take a look around. Oh
my good Lord…
Kadey noticed the
lack of footsteps following and turned around. She made up the space between
them. “You okay?”
“It’s absolutely
beautiful,” Charlise said in answer.
Kadey gave a wry
smile. “Yep, and it’s only the drive way,” she teased.
Charlise shot her
a playful glare. “How in the world…” she paused before finishing. She’d been
about to ask how the girl had ever left this place. That would not have been
good. “Did you ever stay away so long?”
Kadey stopped
grinning and her face took on that neutral look again. She looked around. She
didn’t actually have an answer, at least one the older woman didn’t already
know.
Charlise saw the
struggle over the question and decided to save her from it. “Does your father
just raise horses?”
She shook her
head. “No but mostly. The ranch is split into four. The red ranch houses the
money makers, high pedigree horses. Then there’s the Green Stack ranch which is
actually a hay farm. There’s the Black Dawgie ranch, you drove through, which
is our cattle ranch, and depending on prices and oddly enough who’s in the
white house, is our other money maker. Then there’s this one which is my
father’s favorite. All sort of horses come in and out of here. He breeds a good
number of kinds and purpose horses here.”
“And what is the name
of this one,” she looked around. “I missed the sign if there was one.”
Kadey sighed. “It
has two names, I guess. The one you missed when you drove through would be Blue
Hills ranch. That’s the official name.”
“And the
unofficial?”
“Just what the
town folk referred to when speaking of it.”
“Which is?”
She matched
glances. “Kadey’s ranch.” She nodded toward the house. “Come on,” she turned
and headed for the house again.
Once through the
door Charlise wowed again. It was the warmest home she’d been in since she’d
left her mother’s house. “You grew up in this house?”
Kadey nodded her
head. “More or less.”
“Is there a
doorway somewhere about that would have little Kadey’s height measurements
throughout the years?”
Kadey had to
think about it. “Yes, actually. Though it only went to age five or so.” She
stripped off her gloves and boots and kicked them to the side. “Come on in.”
They made their way to the kitchen. “No Travis today?”
Dan shook his
head. “No, he took a couple of days off.”
Kadey pulled out
a chair for Charlise then seated herself.
Ms May turned to
the table and set food on it. She studied the two of them. “She don’t look near
as bloody as I thought she would. You’re bark wouldn’t be worse than your bite
would it?”
Charlise smiled,
her eyes glinting with amusement.
Dan defended her.
“I don’t know. I took a few steps back in self preservation.”
Kadey didn’t
react. They were speaking about her as though she wasn’t there, she’d just go
along with that sentiment. She dished up her food in silence and passed about
the food. She marveled at how at home Charlise seamed to be. She looked relaxed
and completely comfortable.
Conversation
stayed pretty general and Kadey just let it role on around her. It wasn’t until
it started getting a little more specific that Kadey perked up to it.
“So you’d just
got back from a trip and had to turn right around and go on another,” Dan
asked. He had waited for a more natural segue way for a more personal talk, but
none had come. He figured he’d have to make one himself.
“Mmmn, something
like that,” she threw Kadey a meaningful glance. “Though now that I can relax a
little I must say this is an amazing place you have.”
“Thank you,” Dan
responded. He wasn’t succeeding very well in his quest.
Kadey leaned
back. “So d’ you bring any supplies?” she asked, mimicking her father’s
question to her.
It hadn’t dawned
on Charlise till right then that she had crashed these people’s home without an
invite. Her face showed a tinge of red. “Aaa, yeah,” she answered slowly, “a
bit. I threw some things together rather quickly before I headed out.”
It dawned on Dan
that he hadn’t been a very gracious host. “Oh um you,” he stumbled over
himself.
Ms May glanced
his way thoughtfully and then back to the girls. “I’ve already got a room made
up. We’ll get your things in after we eat.”
“Yes ma’am. Thank
you,” Charlise answered.
Kadey smiled and
shook her head. She’d forgotten what it was like to have an ordinary life, a
slow paced, predictable life. It felt good. She stiffened up. No use getting
used to it, she chastised herself.
Charlise still
felt a bit guilty over barging in. “I’m sorry for the lack of notice,”
“Don’t be silly,”
Ms May interrupted, “you’re welcome. Don’t think another thought of it.”
“Thank you
again,” she said and gave a nod in Dan’s direction.
He smiled and
nodded back.
He really is
handsome.
Enough! What is
wrong with you? None of that. Charlise mentally shook the thoughts from her
head.
“Stay as long as
you want,” Dan reassured her. “You need to call anyone,” he played with his
food a bit. “work or,” a slight pause, “family to let them know you’ll be
here?”
“No,” she
answered. “I’m good for now.”
“You can just
take off that easy?” Ms May asked.
Kadey thought she
could have some fun with this.
“Oh yes,”
Charlise answered. “I have a pretty free schedule.”
“What is it you
do?”
“Good grief Ms
May, what’s with the inquisition?” Kadey knew very well it was an innocent
question. She just thought she would raise some curiosity.
Charlise gave her
a questioning sideways glance. “It’s no problem.”
Kadey shrugged.
“She’s a writer, Ms May, a romance novelist.”
Charlise’s
questioning look turned to a knowing one. She shook her head at the girl’s
antics. This could be an interesting visit.
Ms May under
reacted to Kadey’s snare in order to not overreact. “That sounds nice.”
Kadey just about
broke out laughing but she managed to hold it back. “Yeah, she’s quite popular.
Women line up to get her books. They get pretty wild over them.” She gave
slight emphasis on wild but not to much so as not to tip off Ms May.
Charlise kicked
her under the table.
Kadey did break
out laughing then. “Hey, it’s true.”
“Do you know how
to behave?”
Kadey thought
about it. “Give me a break. I’ve had to avoid that general area of the house
ever since I got here.” She pointed to the area. “Because every time I went
over there, you were glaringly present. I deserve a little fun at your
expense.”
Charlise glanced
over and to her surprise she saw the reason for Kadey’s argument. Well at least
she’d been on the girl’s mind this week. Perhaps it had been a bit self
narcissistic of her but she needed to know that she hadn’t been forgotten. She
looked over at Ms May. “I write Christian romance novels.”
Ms May looked
over. “Charlise Taylor.”
“Yes ma’am.”
“A friend gave me
one of your books a couple weeks ago. I haven’t had a chance to read it but
Kadey’s right. My church ladies do get quite wild over your novels.” She shot
Kadey a look that suggested she’d see to her later.
Charlise wasn’t
sure how to react. She never was. Her success was still a constant surprise.
Kadey told her it was just her self esteem issues showing through. Even Kadey
liked her books, though she only read them because of their friendship. “Thank
you,” was all she came up with. She always sounded like a fool to herself.
“I’ll have to be
sure to make time,” Ms May informed.
“Oh now that’s
not so,” Charlise countered.
Kadey gave her a
look that un-mistakenly told her to stop being overly modest. “Of course she’ll
want to read it having met you. Even Dan’s interested now.”
Charlise turned
on Kadey in an instant. Kadey read the look but couldn’t react. It was obvious
to everyone that Charlise thought it was completely inappropriate for Kadey to
refer to her father by his first name. They locked eyes and those brown ones
were flaring. Kadey knew the older woman was raised in the south and manners
were a huge deal to her, let alone simple respect. Kadey cleared her throat.
“It’s worth the read,” she continued and ended.
Ms May sat back
and assessed the woman at her table. She’d known there was something she liked
about the woman right from the start. Each passing moment reinforced that
impression and now she outright respected her. She glanced at Dan. It was easy
to see he agreed with her.
The conversation
once again left Kadey’s interests. She couldn’t shake this uneasy feeling. She
didn’t like Charlise being mad at her but at the same time this wasn’t exactly
the woman’s business. She didn’t understand. It was complicated. She gnawed on
her lip for the rest of supper and didn’t eat much. Though she knew it was not
forgotten, Charlise had continued on as though nothing was up. Still, Kadey
could feel the issue in the air and she didn’t want to deal with it.
Ms May and
Charlise had gotten onto the topic of their favorite Christian ministry leader,
which they both happened to adore the same one. They kept talking like old
friends and just naturally started in on the dishes together as though it was a
regular happening. Kadey watched for a moment. Turning to her father, who was
enjoying the sight, “I’m going to get a breath of air.” She nodded toward
Charlise as though asking him to keep an eye on her. He nodded in response.
Charlise watched
the girl walk out. She put the last dish in the washer and turned to the two.
Leaning against the sink counter she folded her arms and studied them. Both had
the uncomfortable feeling of being in trouble.
“You let your
daughter talk to you like that?”
Dan grimaced and
smiled at the same time. She didn’t react and he stiffened up. She was very
serious about this and he actually appreciated that fact a great deal. Still,
it was complicated. “You’ve heard of the strategy of picking one’s battles,” he
paused for emphasis, “well, this is one I’m willing to lose.”
She studied him a
while before speaking, a trait she’d picked up from his daughter. “It doesn’t
do her any good to be allowed to misbehave,” she sounded like she was talking
about a six year old.
He nodded in
agreement. “That’s true but I’m not going to push on the small stuff.”
“Small stuff?” It
was obvious that respect was a big deal to her.
He leaned
forward. He’d try and make her understand. “She’s only here because you
happened to not be there. She’s been as skittish as a wounded rabbit the entire
time she’s been here. Maybe we’ve been letting her get away with a bit but
we’ve been trying to keep her from disappearing into the wind.”
Charlise sighed.
Who was she to chastise these people? This was none of her business and she had
no right to say anything. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have butted in.”
Dan leaned back
relaxed. “Ms. Taylor, it is plain to see that you care a great deal for my
daughter. She’s been more of your business than ours this last while so if you
feel the need to butt in then do so. It may or may not do any good but feel
free. How long have you known Kadey?”
“About four
years,” she answered.
“Four years.” He
mulled over that. “You know it’s easy to see that the two of you are crazy
about each other.”
“Yes, I love her
very much.”
He nodded. “Now
can you picture for me that tomorrow she’s gone and you don’t see her for eight
years. Now you tell me, how much would you be willing to put up with to have
her back in your life?”
Charlise didn’t
need much time to think about it. She nodded slowly and then more quickly as
understanding came. “Okay, you win that one.” He rocked back in his chair. A
smile crossed over his face and he is eyes changed colors slightly. It was very
engaging. She broke contact with his gaze and looked out the window. “I’d like
to go talk with her. Anyway you know where she headed?”
He nodded. “Just
walk straight out from that door and you’ll find a path, follow it on up.”
“You can go ahead
and save that stern look for someone else,” Kadey informed her before she’d
even stopped walking up the path.
Okay, she wants
to fight. She’s been standing up here stewing and prepping for a good one.
Okay, if that’s how it’s going to be. “I see, Kadey. You’ve been hurt. You’re
angry. You’re ready to fight off the world. So to heck with it. You’ll just
lower yourself and act like an uneducated ill mannered whelp? That’s not you,
darlin.”
Kadey whirled
around to face her. “Where do you get off? You are not…” she stopped short. Her
eyes darted back and forth, and then she shot back toward the fence.
“I’m not what?
I’m not your mother. That’s true. If I were you really wouldn’t listen to me.”
She started to
shoot back around but stopped herself. “Can’t you just accept that this is
complicated?”
“Yes, I do but
that doesn’t”
“No!” she turned
and faced her. “You don’t get to but me.” She pointed down the hill. “They
don’t think I get it, none of them. They don’t think I understand what they
went through. I’m just bitter Kadey who never grew up and got over it.” She
tapped her hand over her heart, “but I do get it. I understand better than they
know, but you know what…” She ground her teeth together. “It’s not okay. It’s
not. He doesn’t get to think its okay.”
Charlise was a
bit lost at this point and for several reasons. She’d never seen Kadey this
way. She knew the girl had issues in her past and she knew there was anger
there, but she didn’t know it had this heated outspoken element to it. Charlise
hadn’t taken this course yet. She missed out on that chance. She’d been on
Kadey’s end with her own mother but never the reverse. How did she handle a
grown woman in full rebellion, especially her sweet Kadey? Lord, I need some help here. There was fire in the young woman’s
eyes. Charlise had trod onto old territory, an old pain that had settled and
spread to every aspect of the girl’s life. This was not safe territory but it
was the first time she’d been allowed in the area, she couldn’t retreat now.
“Kadey,” she
started.
“No,” she turned
her head away. She refused to be pacified. “You don’t get to ask this of me.
I’m not going to let him think its okay.”
“What
specifically isn’t okay?”
Charlise didn’t
think the girl was going to respond. She just stood there overlooking the
scenery. The path she had followed led straight to that spot on the fence. It
must be her thinking spot. Good spot, she thought, noting the scenery. Finally Kadey
spoke.
“Do you know what
I’ve been doing since I got back?” She didn’t wait for a response. “I’ve been
playing the ‘that could have done it’ game.”
Oh boy, she’s
going to stay cryptic. “Ka…”
“I know.” She glanced
back then stared at the creek running through her pasture. “I’m no fool. I saw
everything. I may have acted like I was living in blissful oblivion, but I saw
it all. I knew she hated it here. She was never built for the country and I
couldn’t hold that against her and I didn’t.” She looked at Charlise as though
to emphasis that point. “I didn’t.”
Charlise decided
that it would just be wise to keep her mouth shut and listen. All the while she
would just keep hoping that Kadey brought the pieces together and made some
sense of this all.
“They did the
best they could with the hand they were dealt. I sure didn’t help the situation
any. I knew how she thought. I knew she was possessive of what she did have. I
can remember fights she and Ms May had over me. She and I could and would fight
over the drop of a hat. It didn’t matter what. She knew how to push my buttons
and I hers and we did it well. You want disrespectful you just transport a few
years back in time and you’ll see disrespectful, but not with Ms May. I didn’t
sass her. That could have done it. Then there was my father. We were crazy
about each other. That could have done it, two fold actually. I spent three
fourths of my time with my dad. I didn’t play. I worked with my dad; that was
my play. I only left his side when my mother or Ms May made me. She was jealous
of the way I felt about him and the way he felt about me. That certainly could
have done it.”
Charlise stepped
up. “Kadey, please do not tell me that you think you’re responsible for the decline
of their marriage. You are twenty three years old, a grown woman who has been
in a few serious relationships herself. You know it doesn’t work like that.”
Kadey half
shrugged. “I do and I don’t.” The sky had been growing dark about them. She
looked up at the moon which was glowing strong in the clear dusk sky. “I always
knew it was because of me they were stuck in a loveless marriage. They were
never in love with one another.”
“Well, sweetie,
that could have done it.” She leaned on the fence next to her. She faced the
girl and didn’t take her eyes off her. “But staying in a marriage for children
is pretty common and sometimes people can work through it and sometimes they
can’t, but it’s not a bad thing. You can’t be blamed either way…” Kadey had
slanted her head and looked at Charlise in dark amusement. Charlise had this
feeling that Kadey was thinking her much too naive for her own good. “Oh…” she
got it. “I see.”
“They should have
never gotten married. That was their second mistake.”
O, Lord, help. “Kadey, you are not a
mistake.”
Kadey laughed.
“Really. Even your God might disagree with that.”
“No. Having sex
was their mistake. Were you a consequence? Yes. But my God says that babies are a blessing from Him.”
“Then I guess we
can blame this all on him can’t we?” Her voice was laced with sarcasm. She
waited for a response. “What? You’re not going to jump down my throat for
that?”
Charlise’s mouth
was stuck open for a moment. Recover! “First of all, I do not jump down peoples
throats. Second, God is a big boy; he can take care of himself.” Kadey turned
away yet again. This time Charlise was thankful for it. She needed the moment
to recuperate. She could never even have guessed that Kadey could be so good at
this. The girl had some expertise goin on. She had the sarcasm down,
venom-like. She could push buttons and hit home with the experts. Wow. Her
sweet Kadey was a fierce, vicious animal. She studied her profile. Wounded
animals often were.
“I’m just sayin
that I get it.”
“Well I don’t.
You said yourself that your dad adored you.”
“He didn’t have a
choice did he?”
“What parent
does?! It’s a responsibility, Kadey. It is. It’s also an amazing gift.”
Kadey faltered a
moment, understanding what that comment outlay. “That’s not what I mean.” She
drug her hands down her face. “Fine. The marriage wasn’t my fault, the divorce
wasn’t my fault, but either way you can’t remove me from the problem.”
“Kadey! I don’t
know what you’re trying to say to me.”
Kadey closed her
eyes and fought back the tears. “My mother had gotten what she wanted and I
couldn’t help that. She didn’t really want me, she’d only wanted to hurt him. I
got that. It didn’t even really bother me. I was glad she left him. They were
finally freed from a loveless marriage and I felt a weight lifted from me. I’d
held that responsibility since I’d found out how I’d come into being.” She
sniffled and wiped at her eyes. She couldn’t bring herself to look Charlise in
the eye so she turned away again. She was turning a bit too yellow for her
taste. She’d always taken some pride in her ability to just neutralize but it
had been escaping her of late.
“It was the next
part that I hadn’t seen coming. I never would have dreamed that I’d have to beg
my father to fight for me. I couldn’t even have imagined him denying me.” She
had to take a few deep steadying breaths. “Holidays and summers.” The anger
rose up in her again and she regained her control. She turned to Charlise.
“It’s not okay.”
Charlise had
finally got it. She wanted to reach out and grab the girl and hold her until
all the pain just went away. One battle at a time. “Okay, Kadey, okay. I get
it.” She reached out and forced the girl to look at her. “I also know that any
power I have over you was given to me by you.” She waited a moment in order to
find the words. “When you chose me, you gave me the right to say this and I can
not stand by and see you be less than you are. I have a responsibility to you
and for you. I can see you’re in pain. I
can see you’re angry. I am not going to take away your right to be so, even
though it would be in your best interest to let it go,” ooh too far, “so here
is what I’m going to say and where I’m going to stand firm. You will be the
woman I know you to be. You will be respectful in my presence and I certainly
hope you’ll step up and be so always.”
Kadey just looked
at her. For the first time since she’d met her, Charlise knew the fear Dan had
been talking about. Had she pushed too far and caused a wedge where one hadn’t
been needed? They’d never had an episode to this degree but any time they had
any discrepancy, Charlise had found that direct confrontation had worked best
with Kadey. What if it was different in the big tousles? After what seemed a
lifetime, the younger woman finally nodded her agreement and once more looked
away. Charlise sighed sadly. She didn’t come to make Kadey’s life harder. She
wanted to help her. She also didn’t like the feeling in the pit of her stomach
at the girl being distant and angry with her.
“Kadey”
“Yeah”
“Kadey”
Kadey sighed
heavily but finally turned, as she knew she was being asked, and faced the
woman. “Yeah.”
“Okay, this is a
new feeling for me and I know I should be more grown up than this, but” she
paused, “I need,” she started slowly, “to know we’re okay.”
Kadey’s eyes
showed her surprise. She hadn’t expected that. She considered the woman and
what this clash had cost. If Kadey forced herself to step back from the
situation she could see the older woman’s perspective and she didn’t doubt her
love. This was the first time they’d ever really fought about anything. She
didn’t like this feeling either. “Yeah, we’re okay.”
Charlise’s relief
was evident. “Good.” She stepped over and pulled the girl into a hug. Kadey
wasn’t overly responsive at first but after a moment she relaxed and squeezed
back.
“I’m sorry I was
sharp with you.”
Charlise laughed.
Sharp was almost an understatement. “That’s more than you’ve ever told me about
your past, at least at one sitting. So long as we’re always okay, you can do
what you need to do to talk to me but just keep talking to me.”
“I appreciate you
saying that but I know that I shouldn’t take this out on you.”
She brushed her
fingers across Kadey’s cheek. “We’ll get through this. Just don’t shut down or
run away from me, kay?”
“I will try.”
That was all she could give right now.
“Okay.” She
sighed. Without warning old ghosts popped up. She’d just had her first
‘mother-daughter’ fight. What if? Oh that hateful question.
Kadey d’ known
the woman long enough to recognize the signs. Kadey went from victim to rescuer
in an instant. “Hey, snap back.” This time it was the royal blues that were
filled with compassion. “I think you’ve had quite enough emotional drama for
one day.”
Charlise smiled.
“You’re right.” It always surprised her how fast the past could initiate a
surprise attack. “So now what?”
Kadey looked
around at the night sky. “What do you think?”
Charlise followed
her gaze. “I might never move from this spot.”
Kadey chuckled.
“How’d you ever end up in the city?” It was a rhetorical question. They both
knew the answer. “Ready to go in?”
“What part of
never did you not get?”
Kadey took her
hand. “Come on. It will be there again tomorrow night. You don’t have to take
it all in now. If you’re good maybe you can see more than just the drive way
tomorrow.”
“If I’m good,
huh?”
Kadey nodded.
“Yup.”
They walked
leisurely back down the path. Kadey spotted her father sitting on the back
porch waiting for them. She fought the urge to stiffen up. When they’d hit the
porch she could see that Charlise really wasn’t ready to go in. “Why don’t you
sit out here a while and star gaze. I’m done in.”
They sized up one
another, trying to make sure each was really okay.
“Sounds fine.
Goodnight.”
Kadey nodded. She
turned to her father. She would have said ‘night, Dan’ at this point but that
was no longer an option, and since she wasn’t ready for the dad word she simply
said, “night.”
“Goodnight,
Kadey.”
Both those remaining
watched Kadey exit into the house. Once the door shut, Charlise took the seat
across from Dan. She was tired herself but she couldn’t pull herself away from
the night air and beauty that surrounded her. “God really outdid himself here,”
she said looking out.
Dan nodded. “He’s
a masterful artist, that’s for sure.” He studied the woman as she soaked up the
atmosphere. She looked at home. “Everything go okay?” he finally got the
courage up to ask.
“Yes and no.
Battles,” she looked over at him, “I’m learning about picking battles.”
He grinned at
her, the corner of his eyes crinkled as he did. “It’s not an easy thing.”
They sat in
silence for a while, both surprised at the ease in it.
“I just have to
ask. Please don’t think me impolite, but who are you?”
She laughed at
his question. “Who am I?”
“You have an
authority over her that shocks even Ms May. She changed the moment she raised
her eyes and saw you standing there. She laughed, I mean truly laughed for the
first time since she’s been here. Who are you?”
“You want our
story.”
“Yes, please.”
Her smile slowly faded and he suddenly wished he’d kept his dang mouth shut.
Copper eyes that were once laughing were suddenly sad. He wanted laughter
again, not sad. “You don’t have to tell me. It’s okay.”
“No, it’s not
that. It’s just to tell you one story I have to explain another and it’s not an
easy thing.”
“Then don’t. It’s
not my business. We can just enjoy the night air.”
She smiled softly
at him. “Just because something’s hard to talk about doesn’t mean you
shouldn’t. Surely you’ve learned that lesson.”
“Well, that’s one
of those 20 part courses.”
She laughed. “Well
said.”
She was quiet for
a long moment. It was amazing how hard this was. “About a year and a half
before I met Kadey, a different lifetime, my existence was as close to perfect
as I could have ever hoped for. I was married to a wonderful man and we had the
most beautiful, wonderful little girl.”
Her use of the
past tense nearly broke Dan’s heart. He could kick himself a hundred times over
for making her relive her loss. Worse even, he had lectured her on the fear of
losing a child and come to find out she knew pain unlike he had ever felt.
Kadey was alive. He still had a chance with her. This wonderful woman had lost
that. What he wouldn’t give to make those copper browns shine with joy. Oh, Lord.
She was surprised
at the compassion she saw cover his face. Kadey had looked at her like that and
melted her heart. Dan was having a similar effect. “She was the light of my
life. I’d never known that kind of joy or love till they put her in my arms.
Well, I guess I don’t have to explain that part to you,”
He shook his
head. “No, that feeling I know.”
“That life ended
on a slick December road, when the Lord decided to take them both home.” She
looked down at a knot in the wood porch. “I didn’t rebel how one might think. I
didn’t run from the Lord. Oh, goodness, I wouldn’t have made it if I had tried.
He was the only thing keeping me going. I did rebel though. I decided if God
was going to take away the people he’d given me to love then I just wouldn’t
love anymore. I made a decision to become a complete recluse. My occupation was
perfect for it. I hardly had to come out of my house. Only one problem,” she
looked up at him and then out at the view, “I love the outdoors. I was never
one for the city. That had been my husband’s direction. Looking back I both
wonder and know why I didn’t choose to move out to the country.”
She began to rock
her chair. The hardest part of the story was over and she had begun to relax.
Sitting on a porch out in the country, rockin in a rocking chair was a step in
heaven’s direction to her. “The Lord had a specific direction for me and it was
in that city, so I stayed. After a few weeks I was nearly mad. I couldn’t stay
in the house that often. It dawned on me that this was the city. You could be
in a room full of people and still be alone. So I resumed some parts of my
life. I went for walks in the park and got out as often as I needed.”
“Didn’t you have
family and friends to…” he faltered unsure how to say what he was asking.
“Who would kick
my butt and force me to heal?”
He shrugged. “Well,
yeah.”
“They had to pick
their battles as well. By the time they’d realized they’d picked the wrong ones
I was gone. They tried to stick it out but they had their own lives to live. I
was pretty stubborn about it. They never stood a chance.”
He nodded in
understanding.
“So life went on
like that for quite a while. It was a lonely existence but it was the one I had
chosen so I dealt with it. I walked to the store twice a week, on Tuesdays and
Fridays. I went at the same time each day and always came home with two over
filled paper bags full. The police warn you not to stick to an exact routine;
it makes life a bit too easy for predators and such. Lucky for me a different
kind of peering eye was set on me.”
“I was having a
horrible day. I was lost in the past, angry and desperate about all I had lost.
I could barely walk the weight of the world was so heavy on me. I was on my way
back home when suddenly the bag in my right arm just tore out the bottom. I
lost balance and the left bag teetered. I reached out with my now empty right
hand but the other bag tore around where my hand grabbed to steady it and down
it went too. I was destroyed or I would have been had I the time. For two split
seconds I was just done. But before I could despair, I looked up to identify a
sound and two royal blue eyes were locked onto mine. They were filled with such
compassion and tenderness I was just lost in them. She flashed that grin of
hers and handed me something. I took it and stared at it. She had one as well
and as she unrolled it I figured out what it was, a rolled up canvas grocery
bag. They were just getting popular in the “green” movement. She started
putting my fallen groceries in her bag and I was about to refuse her kind offer
when she looked back up and with a thick accent said, ‘looks like God would
like you to stop killin trees.’”
“Kadey doesn’t
have much of an accent.”
“No, she
doesn’t.” She smiled at him. “Then again I reckon you’ve never really seen her
nervous either.”
He was
thoughtful. “No, she’s pretty steady about things.”
“Yes she is but
that accent appears as her steadiness waivers.” She chuckled. “It was
enchanting and it slowly dissipated but because I know it’s there I can hear it
from time to time.” She continued her story, “she grabbed my bag and motioned
for me to hold it up and she grabbed the bag that was ripped down the side and
managed to get it in without losing any more groceries. Then she walked me home
and from then on she inserted herself into my life as skillfully as she’d
rescued my groceries.”
Dan marveled at
the story. “That’s amazing. Almost too amazing…”
She nodded with
complete understanding, “to be true,” she finished. “It is, well not to be true
but,” she threw her hands up, “oh I’ll just fill you in. Come to find out our
Kadey had noticed me some time before. I always walk by her at the same time
and she would watch me each day I went by. It had occurred to her that one of
these days I was going to lose those bags. Then one day she saw a sign that
said, ‘Paper or Plastic? Neither!’ and had these bags for sale. On a whim she
picked them up. She carried them with her on Tuesdays and Fridays. Apparently
she was watching one day and out of impatience she inadvertently sent up a
prayer. I think it went something like, ‘You could really help us along here.
This is ridiculous.’ Then whoosh, down came the groceries. She told me she was
so shocked she almost didn’t react and she was suddenly so shy she almost
backed out. But when she saw the look on my face she just b-lined it for me. And
that was that.”
Dan swallowed
down the lump in his throat. He was really proud of his baby and thankful to
God for bringing them together. “That’s amazing.”
She sighed
softly. “It’s funny how you look back and see moments differently. That moment,
just before the royal blues, was it for me. I was gone. Now I look back and
that moment is so different than what I thought. I actually think about it
now,” she laughed. “It’s probably silly, but I picture the Lord on his throne
watching me. He knows what’s about to happen and even though I can’t hear him
he says something like, ‘okay, baby girl, now I’m about to do something that’s
going to push at you pretty hard, but there’s a reason. It’s going to hurt but
I promise you’ll be thankful later. So let’s just get through this so we can
get on with the good stuff.’ Then up went Kadey’s inadvertent prayer and tear
went the paper bags. I can even picture a grimace on his face when he feels
that few seconds of pain with me. And then the, ‘see, I told you I had a plan’
when I get lost in those eyes.”
Dan didn’t even
try to hide the tear that rolled down his cheek. That’s amazing, rose in his
mind but he’d already said that a dozen times. “Wow,” that was much better.
Charlise was
touched by the compassion yet again. She had to fight getting choked up seeing
his physical empathy. “It still took some time and a few instances to get
things fixed but in time we got those weights off my shoulders.”
He thought over
her story, trying to commit it to memory. It was one he never wanted to forget.
“Why do you think she made the comment about the Lord not wanting you to kill
trees?”
Insightful, she
noted. “She knew. She knew I was a Christian. I have this tendency to talk out
loud to the Lord, a fact which had helped me keep people at a distance. Most
thought I was crazy. She recognized it and knew that it would stop me from
dismissing her.”
Dan agreed. “Both
I and Ms May do that rather often, she would recognize it.” He suddenly felt he
should explicate. “Though I’m not the best example in the world.”
She leaned
forward and touched his hand lightly. “You say this after I’ve just told you I
was the recluse that talked to “myself”.”
He grinned.
“Okay, fair enough.” He was sad when she took back her hand. He’d liked the
feel of her touch. Warning signs went up at that moment. This was Kadey’s
surrogate mother. The one person she still trusted and leaned on. Whatever
feelings were trying to sneak their way up needed to stop now. “And now?”
“And now I still
talk to myself, more actually.” She looked thoughtful.
“What?” She
smiled sadly. No not more sad eyes, he thought. “What?”
“After that first
meeting I’d thought about avoiding the store that next week. I actually did
miss the Tuesday one and not really on purpose. Wednesday my mind had changed.
Instead of worrying that she’d be there again I was scared she wouldn’t. She
was though and she approached me. If I hadn’t received her well, I think that
would have been the end of it. I started to look forward to her but I hadn’t
opened up my life to anyone else.” She looked reluctant to continue. It was
another hard subject for both of them. “Then one day we were talking and I’d
said something about the Lord and the way she reacted sent flares, glaring
flares up all around me. I asked her if she was a Christian. She did that
thoughtful pause she’s so good at. Then shrugged and told me she didn’t doubt
the existence of God but she had no use for him.”
“I finally got
it, Dan.”
He choked back
his pain at her words and reinforcement of his worst fear. “What,” his voice
quavered.
“I got what the
Lord was trying to tell me all along. I got the whole thought of its better to
have lost someone to the Lord than to keep them with you here a hundred years
and lose them for all eternity. I have
never had such a violent wake up call as that moment. Oh I missed my baby but
she was in paradise. That baby girl loved the Lord her entire life, short as it
was. I knew she was His. I know that whenever I leave this world I’m going to
see that smile again and there he’ll be behind her saying ‘I told you I held
your treasures close to my heart’. I can’t not see Kadey there. The way I was
living, the choices I had made all glared at me. They accused me in ways I
can’t even explain. I got my backside into a church that Sunday and a bible
study later in the week. I called up family and friends. I did anything and
everything I could think of to start working my life out.”
Dan couldn’t
speak. He would never be able to find the words to express the gratitude for
her care and concern for his daughter. She gave him hope. Would the Lord bring
someone into his baby’s life like this and then not turn out results. It was
possible, yes, but he didn’t think so. He only had his hope where Kadey was
concerned and this woman had just given it new life. He would trust and he
would pray and he would hold onto the promise.
“I didn’t mean to
bring up a painful subject.”
“Thank you,” he
responded.
It wasn’t what
she’d expected.
“Thank you for
everything.”
She didn’t know
what to say. She hadn’t done anything really. “I’m not sure there’s anything to
thank me for.”
“You do have a
bit of a self esteem issue, don’t you?”
She went red.
“I’m sorry. I
didn’t mean to embarrass you. Please just accept my thanks.”
She nodded. “I
wish it had been more.”
“You’re not
giving up.” It wasn’t a question, just a gentle reminder.
“No. Torn paper
bags changed my life.” She sniggered. “Torn paper bags saved me from missing
out on my purpose in this life and I believe she is a part of that. My
effectiveness as a writer, as a neighbor, a church member, a human being has
all changed because of that moment. Just when I was getting back on track, that
girl pulled a disappearing act on me. She was just gone. It never dawned on me
until then that she was the instigator of our friendship. I never had to go to
her because she always came to me. Because of this and general stupidity, I
didn’t know anything. I didn’t have her phone number. I didn’t know where she
lived. I didn’t know anything I should have. I took hours and wrote down every
little thing I could remember and tried to piece something together that would
help me. My ‘together’ wasn’t as together as I’d thought. She was a huge part
of my life and she was just gone.”
“Finally I went
back to the first thing I knew. She was there when I looked up. So why? I knew
she was taking classes and there were some university buildings on that street.
So I went hunting. There was a music building. I asked one of the students
after class if he knew her. He didn’t and I mentioned that I’d met her here
after class at this time. He asked when and I told him. He said she’d probably
progressed to the next level which was on different day and he told me which to
try. So I did and there she was. She came out of the building talking with someone.
I noted for the first time that Kadey wasn’t so different from me. She didn’t
hide in a house or stay away from people, but her posture, the distance she
kept. Well, I don’t really have to explain the look on her face when she
spotted me. You’ve seen it.” She grinned at him and he returned it.
“Once I’d gotten
her alone I just cried out ‘Why?’ Why had she just disappeared? It took her a
while to answer. It took a lot to get the real reason out of her. As it was, it
came down to why she came to me in the first place. She’d spotted me one day
and instantly her heart had been drawn to me because I looked how she felt.
She’d felt a kinship with me because we were both miserable and suddenly,” she
shrugged.
“You weren’t
miserable anymore,” he finished.
“Nope. I’d gotten
my life back and she’d stepped back and looked at me and decided that I didn’t
need her anymore.”
“What’d you do?”
“Well,” she was
laughing, “I was a mess. I was a nervous wreck. I looked like a madwoman.
‘Kadey,’ I’d said, ‘look at me. Do I look like I’ve got it all together? Do I
look like I’m doing good without you? What are you thinking?’ I just pulled her
into a hug and told her, on threat of death and dismemberment, never to do that
to me again. She said she’d try not to. She’s very careful not to make promises
she’s not sure she can fulfill, which is admirable but not at all comforting.”
“And you’ve been
good ever since?”
She was
thoughtful. “Yes but there were times I wasn’t sure.” She hesitated. She didn’t
want to make anything worse between father and daughter and it was fairly clear
Kadey hadn’t explained her situation.
“You’re
encroaching upon the topic of her marriage, aren’t you?” He smiled reassuring.
“I’ve kept out of her business, despite my curiosity. Don’t tell me anything you
don’t feel comfortable.”
She appreciated
his candor. “You are a very patient man.”
He chortled. “Ha.
I’m just not going to risk it. Not yet anyway.”
“Well, long and
short of it. He became her life, which isn’t necessarily bad but there were
things that made me wonder if I was going to lose her. I might have too but
she’s a very compassionate person. She caught me with this sad puppy dog look.
I was feeling like I was going to lose another daughter and she saw it as clear
as day on my face. She promised me that I would be a part of her new life and
she’d kept that promise. Her wording haunted me when I found out that her new
life had fallen apart and so had ended her promise.”
“Hence the terror
at her disappearance.”
“Exactly.” She
nodded and as she did she glanced down at her watch. “Good grief. It’s past
midnight.” She wasn’t a rancher by any means but she had a pretty good idea it
was very much past his bed time and a tad closer to his rising time. “I didn’t
mean to keep you up this long.”
“I’d have thought
it was me keeping you up.”
“Well, either
way. It’s late.”
He agreed. “Thank
you, Ms Taylor.”
“Oh, please no
more of that. Charlise.”
“Umm, I don’t
know if I can do that ma’am.”
“Enough of that
for sure. Okay, here’s the deal. You need a little more time to get used to me,
okay. You can ma’am me and Ms Taylor me for two days. After that no more.”
“I’m not real
good with women’s first names. Kadey’s about the only one I use.”
“Well if it helps
you can call me what she does from time to time.”
“What’s that?”
“Charlie. It’s
spelled just like the male version but as you can hear pronounced with a ‘sh’
sound like my name. So, two days then Charlie or Charlise. Agreed?”
He sat with his
mouth propped open, stuck on an answer. The shine in her eyes won him over. “Yes,
ma’am.”
She shot him a
playful dirty look.
“So you plan to
stay for a while?”
Her face turned
serious. “With your permission,”
“You’d like to
stay with her as long as it takes.”
“Yes.”
“You are very
welcomed, on one condition.”
She looked him
over with curiosity and suspicion. “What?” she asked slowly.
“You make sure to
let us know if you need anything. You are our guest and are to be treated as
such.”
“What, I can’t be
one of the family?” she teased.
They both stilled
for a moment. She wanted to take it back but it was already out there. “Maybe,”
he finally said with a boyish grin on his face, “we’ll re-evaluate in two weeks
time.”
She laughed. “Two
weeks.”
“I’m much more
generous with my time allotments.”
“Well I’m not
extending if that’s what you think.”
“Stubborn women.
I’m surrounded by stubborn women.”
“Lucky man.”
“Yes, ma’am.”
He rose first and
extended her an arm. She took it and pulled herself up. She headed in first but
stopped halfway through the door. She turned to him, her face thoughtful. “You
know, I can’t help thinking…”
“What?” he
prompted after her pause.
She looked around
at the scenery, a quick glance into the house, then into his eyes. “I wonder if
Glenn and what he did to her, if he was her torn paper bag.”
No comments:
Post a Comment