...I was trying to decide whether to post in order or to jump around. I had a hard time sticking to one story at a time. I had to be careful not to finish them in my head because if I did I'd want to move on and I'd never get it all on paper, let alone typed. I had a horrible time typing up my stories. It wasn't too bad if I wrote it that way, but if I hand wrote it then went to type it... agony. I tried speech to text but during the time I was consistently writing, that wasn't developed very well. By the time you fixed all the errors the computer made you might as well have typed it in the first place. It's gotten better since. I've used it to make some items for work. It's kind of fun. I ought to find one of my old stories and speech to text it just for the triumph of it. Back then I soooooo wanted it to work. I was just a bit to ahead of the technology. You would have to train the computer to know your voice, which you still do, but then you would read it stories. You had a few to choose from. The first chapter of The Wizard of Oz, it talked a lot about everything being grey, some fables, some philosophical thing that I think talked about a tables existence and I don't remember the rest. The fables were fun the first time around but once you'd learned the lesson that familiarity breeds contempt a half dozen times you were over it. Now my computer just runs me through a tutorial of how it works and while you learn so does the computer. It's impressive. I bought a special headset and my computer and I have conversations.
I tried dictating my stories once. I bought a little recorder. I thought my stories faster than I could write them so what better way to do it than record them and then type them later. Not a bad idea. If the recording was good enough then when speech to text improved I could just play the tape. I gave up after the first try. Any guesses why? ...... I hated the sound of my recorded voice. It was awful. I couldn't stand it.
So anyway, words I write a lot, so anyway. I'm a rabbit trailer. So much so that sometimes I don't even go back to my original idea because I'm enjoying my new one so much. I leap frog write. I'd get an idea and write it down, then title it with a letter of the alphabet. The beginning would be A and the end Z and then I'd guess about where this part might go, S. Then I'd write an idea and fit it in about here, L. Then I'd have to write a bridge to fit L with my N. So if you opened the folder on my computer containing my story there wouldn't be chapters, just letters waiting to fit together. Then I'd cut and paste them together in a draft, renaming the original L-used, and eventually my story would fit together and be done. You have to watch out for contradicting parts this way. I'd have to decide which letter idea I liked better and then rewrite the other to fit with it. I do a lot of rewrites. Especially if the editing has a big space of time in between. I touched on that before. As I change so do the stories. I'm not even sure how much of the first draft remains in the finished work; not because it was bad but because I simply don't relate to it anymore.
I just looked into my drive to figure out which was my next story. The first file I open has parts A, H, J, T, T, U. Not sure why there are two T's. Slightly different versions I was trying to decide on? Have to investigate that further. I can tell that it's not finished. Not so much by the few and far between letters, more because there is no Z. I must not have an ending yet. I recognize the story. It was actually two ideas that I eventually decided that would work well together. It starts with witness protection and ends with a tree house. I don't think it's the next story in line though. I'm not sure which one I wrote next. Okay, I think I narrowed it down. I'm just not sure when I wrote it. I'm pretty sure Charlotte read this one but I don't know if she ever finished it. That would suggest late high school, early college. I have a feeling that it's going to make me feel young and ridiculous. I had a habit of not supporting anything I wrote. I wouldn't have any idea if what I was writing was even feasible because I didn't want to do the research. The last one I wrote, not including my short story, was the only one I actually took the time to do some research. It's probably my favorite too. I liked being over the top silly. I liked shifting secret passages, diseases that didn't exist and unrealistic plots. I grew up on soaps. Need I say more?
So anyway, this next story... can't really think of any precursor to it. It's very soapish. Don't judge.
No comments:
Post a Comment